Chapter eleven

I woke up later that day, the sun was about to start setting on the horizon. I yawned and sat up. Nobody else was in here, except Lafayette who was grinning at me in the weirdest way. Oh no what the frick did I do.

"I see you really like John," Lafayette commented.

"I-" I stopped myself from any form of blushing. Hes just a friend, no, hes an acquaintance.

"You do know you fell asleep holding hands, right?" Lafayette said, smirking.

I stood up, gave Lafayette a glare, and then walked outside. John was sitting just outside, Mulligan was sharpening a sword on the rocks, and Arnold was no where to be seen. I went over towards John and sat down next to him. He smiled at me, and It was hard not to smile back. But relationships are overrated, and not a good thing to have when you could die tomorrow.

"Hi," I said to him.

"Hey," he responded back.

We sat on the rocks awkwardly shivering together. That's when the ground started to rumble. I looked up and saw a couple small rocks rolling down the mountain side. John looked up as well, and then the rocks became bigger. Soon I could see that near the top of the mountain boulders started rolling down at us.

"RUN!" Mulligan shouted.

I stood up and felt John grab my hand. He was pale white in fear. I started to run as fast as I could down the mountain side, it was very difficult not to slip of the frost-covered rocks. I pulled John behind me as rocks chased us, we frantically tried to get to our old cave, which would hopefully offer protection. 

I looked over towards Lafayette, he was behind us. A rock slammed into the back of Lafayette's head as he was trying to stumble down the mountain. 

"LAF!" Mulligan shouted, and turned around.

"YOU CANT GO BACK, YOU'LL DIE!" I shouted to him.

Mulligan looked at me with tears in his eyes, then sprinted towards Lafayette.

I could only get a glimpse of the scene, Lafayette lay unconscious on the mountainside, Hercules running towards a rockfall to save him. But I could not stare for long. I turned around, facing the woods, and continued to run with John.

We eventually reached the edge of the forest, rocks just at our heels. I stopped near a big tree and took a deep breath. I looked up at John, he had tears in his eyes. He's really close to Lafayette. I thought, feeling a bit of pain in my heart for the inspirational district two tribute.

John walked up to me slowly and then wrapped his arms around me and I heard him cry into my scarf.

*~*

Me and the team sat just outside the spruce forest. 

Lafayette lay on the pine needles, next to a little pond we found. Hercules had miraculously saved Lafayette from the rockfall. Although, he had not woken up yet from his wounds. I expected him to die any moment now, Hercules never stopped crying over his friend, and John had only just gotten over the fact that his friend may die.

I sat in silence, this proved my point at not getting attached to people even further. It just causes pain and suffering.

He had been hit in the head and smashed in the side multiple times with large rocks. I expected he'd at least broken a couple ribs. Maybe brain damage as well. I knew the capitol had advanced medicine for situations like this, but there had been no supplies from a sponsor sent in.

I stood guard as the team cooked the raw chicken Lafayette had found a yesterday.

Everyone was on high alert, this was the area that Jefferson and the Schuyler's teams where supposed to live.