Chapter fifteen

I pulled Alex behind me, and suddenly he collapsed to the ground.

"Alex?" I asked.

"NO!" He suddenly shouted.

I ran up to him, his eyes where closed and he was flinching. He must be having some kind of terrible panic attack. I picked him up and kept running towards the cave I had seen. Alex kept flinching and yelling random things. I noticed at some point that he was looking at me, his eyes filled with terror. I reached the cave quickly and ducked inside. Then I froze.

Jefferson's team sat in the cave around a small camp fire, there was also two Schuyler sisters there. I stood still, frozen in place with a soaking wet Alexander in my arms. The people inside the cave suddenly stood up, grabbing weapons. Alex wailed loudly and I looked worriedly at his face.

"Is he infected?" Someone asked.

A moment later Herc and Ben caught up to me, and came in the cave. Alex stretched his hand dramatically at the sky.

"Please..." He whimpered.

"He's infected with something, back away!" Jefferson shouted, and his team backed away to the wall.

"I'm not scared of that. Lets kill 'em now," Peggy Schuyler said.

"She's right, we should kill them," Maria Reynolds pitched in.

Together, If I'm right and the Jefferson and Schuyler team teamed up, there was a team of five people here. I hadn't realized how many people their team had lost, I was thinking we could take them, but with Alex in his current state, we would definitely loose.

"Please...John...Help me," Alex whimpered.

Jefferson gave a strange look at Ben, and Ben shook his head slightly. What was that supposed to mean?

"Please let us stay for a while. We can truce until the storm is over, and then head our separate ways," Herc said.

"We could always kill them in the morning," Peggy suggested.

"Fine, but if you're not gone right when the storm ends, we're attacking," Jefferson said.

I set down Alex slowly on the stone floor, there where sleeping bags and tons of supplies in the cave, but I was not going to ask for anything from these people. Herc kept staring at them with pure hatred, and I understood why. They killed his best friend, and my best friend too. I noticed Ben acting way to friendly with the murderers, as if he had known them all along.

"I love you, its okay, Its fine, I love you," I murmured quietly to Alex as he shivered on the floor.

The tensions where high. Herc wouldn't stop staring at the murderers, he kept a knife in his hand at all times. Peggy looked as if she where dying to slice my throat, and Ben looked ready to murder Alex. Wait, wait wait, Ben? I stared at Ben, he was indeed glaring at Alex with hatred. What is going on here? 

Ben engaged in friendly conversations with Jefferson as I sat next to Alex's body.

"Shhh, its okay," I muttered to him as he cried.

"Please...John," He whimpered like an injured puppy.

I wanted so desperately to be with him in whatever he was experiencing. I wanted to be there to comfort him. I wanted to hug him while he saw whatever he was seeing. Suddenly, definitely not in a natural way, the rain stopped. I looked over at Jefferson's team, there eyes drifted slowly over to us, and they all grinned.

The storm was over, they could attack now.

I picked Alex up and sprinted out of the cave with Herc on my heels.