Chapter nineteen

I stared out at the creature, sitting on Johns lap. He was really comfortable. That sounded strange, but it was true. Suddenly the creatures head turned to us. My eyes widened, and I jumped off his lap. For weapons we had brought two swords and a knife- Nothing I could use. John grabbed a sword and stood in front of me protectively.

I bent down and picked up the knife slowly, and Hercules grabbed the other sword. I stepped out at Johns side, and we formed a small line. The creature stared at us, and then it started swimming over.

"I love you, John Laurens," I said.

"I love you, Alexander Hamilton," John said, and grabbed my hand.

"I love you, Marquis de Lafayette," Hercules said, looking up at the sky.

The monster swam closer, and I squeezed Johns hand tightly, knowing we would probably all die. The monster roared as it got closer to us, and I felt John push me behind him.

"I don't need your protection," I said, pushing my way back to where I had been standing next to him.

"Alex," John gave me a stern look, although there where a couple tears welling up in his eyes. "You aren't going to die before me."

"We can take this thing," I said confidently. 

John stared at me worriedly, and then looked back at the monster rushing at us. 

"You two still have each other," Hercules said suddenly. "But I have nothing to live for."

Before I could ask what he meant, Hercules took a step back, sprinted as fast as he could, and jumped at the monster. Hercules slammed into the monsters face, and the monster roared as Hercules stabbed its forehead. 

"RUN!" He shouted at us. 

The monster flipped Hercules around, and he almost fell of the beast into the brown murky water. 

"RUN!" He shouted again at us. "PLEASE! SURVIVE! IF YOU DON'T RUN ILL KILL YOU!"

John pulled me away. we climbed as fast as we could towards the top of the mountain. I heard a scream behind me and forced myself not to look as we reached almost the top of the mountain. Suddenly my handhold, a small rock, broke loose and I was hanging from one hand off a cliff.

Immediately I felt John grab my arm, and pull me up the rest of the way. Its like he's always watching me and knows when I'm in trouble. We reached a ledge up high on the mountain, and both huddled together in the cold. I dared to take a glance back at the monster and Hercules; the person who risked his life for us.

I turned around and gasped at the sight. The monster was beaten up, scratches all over its face. I caught a sight of Hercules, barely able to stand up on a floating log. The monster moved around for a moment, then let out a screech. Then the monster laid down in the water, and died.

I looked at Hercules's small body, standing on the  log. 

"HERCULES!" John shouted.

Hercules just stared ahead, and then he fell over into the water. I waited for him to come swimming back up, and towards the shore. My heart pounded as he didn't re-surface. Then I heard a canon echo through the mountains.

*~*

Me and John huddled together on the mountain side, John was still crying over Hercules. The water had started to drain now that the monster was gone, and the sun had risen. Soon the arena was completely drained out, the forest looked like a complete mess, trees littered the ground, dirt everywhere. everything green had died.