⏳ Thirty: The Past and the Future - P.t 2 ⏳

You awoke to a headache that made you cringe immediately upon opening your eyes. It wasn't a throbbing sort of pain but one that felt more like your head was being squeezed by an invisible force. When the pain had subsided enough for you to move your head without making you feel as though your brain was about to explode into a million gory bits and pieces, you slowly forced your eyes wide open and took in your surroundings.

The room seemed to be empty and poorly-lit by a single yellow lightbulb hanging from the ceiling above your head and completely unknown to you. Your heart began to race as memories of the mysterious middle-aged man with a monocle and cigarette came flooding into your mind.

You had to get out of here.

It was only when you were about to run and flee when you realized that your wrists were shackled against the hard, concrete wall. You tried pulling against your restraints, hoping that whoever had imprisoned you had been careless and hadn't locked them properly or that the shackles were old and could be broken with enough force, but it was useless. You were hopelessly trapped.

"You're awake?" your head jerked up at the sound of an unfamiliar voice and footsteps coming towards you. "For a second, I thought the Black Lizard had done their job too well and put you into a coma or even possibly killed you."

The dark figure walking towards you was gradually revealed thanks to the dim lighting offered by the lightbulb overhead and you were soon met face to face with a rather short orange-haired male with a black hat. He looked to be around your age but you wouldn't be surprised if he was younger due to his height.

You took in a steady breath to calm your nerves and not let yourself be intimidated by the man (who most likely could've been your captor) before speaking aloud. "You probably get this a lot from your prisoners and all but, where am I? Who are you? And what in hell do you want with me?!"

A chuckle escaped from the short male's lips as his piercing blue eyes met your unfaltering gaze and a malicious smirk made its way onto his face. "Relax. We're not going to hurt you. We didn't receive orders to do so." he said nonchalantly, tucking his hands into his pockets. "You're not the one we want anyway. You're just acting as bait to get that suicidal bastard over here."

You were confused for a moment. Your eyebrows furrowing at his words and your mind trying to comprehend their meanings. Then it hit you.

"Dazai..." you blurted out without thought, eyes growing wide in realization and horror. Your hands clenched into tight fists against the cold concrete wall. "What do you want with him?!"

With his smirk intact, he quirked an eyebrow. "You mean that suicidal idiot didn't even tell you about us? Oh, come on, did he really not even mention anything about what he did before he joined that stupid detective agency?"

My bewildered expression and expectant stare alone were enough to answer his questions.

"You're involved with him, aren't you?" The male simply shook his head and gritted his teeth. "Unbelievable. That damn asshole can't even tell his little girlfriend the truth."

As though he could read your thoughts, the orange-haired male fixed his steely gaze on you once more and said, "Listen, don't get any wrong ideas. I'm only telling you this because I doubt that prick would." he took a step forward, alleviating the gap between us. "Although we haven't formally met, you've surely heard of the Port Mafia before, haven't you?"

Your eyes widened at the mention of the name. Memories of seeing it printed several times in newspaper headlines and hearing frightened whispers of the infamous underground criminal organization by people you'd passed by in the streets flashed across your mind.