👶🏻 Twenty-Six: Midnight Rendezvous 👶🏻

note: For this chapter and the few ones following, I'll be writing one-shots from before you and Dazai started dating (and got married).

You let out a soft sigh as you looked down at your cup of latte. The once hot and comforting beverage had become lukewarm and now tasted overly sweet. Your face scrunched up in disgust after taking another sip from the cup, immediately regretting your poor decision.

Releasing another sigh, you placed the cup on your table and slumped back against your seat. Your tired eyes glanced up to the large clock hanging on the wall of the café you were in and it didn't make you feel any better seeing that it was already past midnight.

What were you doing with your life?

You spent most of your days working like a slave at a job you didn't even like and your nights at a café alone like an introverted grandma who despised the youths and socializing. You were torn away from your consuming pessimistic thoughts by an abrupt knocking against the glass window next to your table, almost making you jump in your seat. Shifting your gaze towards the window, your eyes widened slightly when you saw the familiar grinning face of your friend who worked at the detective agency above the café.

The tall male made a gesture with his hand which you surmised was to ask you to come outside. Without thinking twice, you grabbed your bag and abandoned your lukewarm latte as you made your way out of the café.

"Dazai-kun," you greeted your friend after you came out of the eatery. "Why did you ask me to come out? Don't you normally go in the café after work?"

"Well, it's certainly good to see you too, (Y/ N)-chan." Dazai smiled lazily. "I just felt like taking a walk tonight. Care to join me in a midnight stroll? We can rant about our insufferable colleagues and scream at passing couples for making us feel single and lonely."

You couldn't help but break into a smile at his suggestion. "That offer sounds very enticing, especially the part about screaming at couples."

"Shall we then, mademoiselle?" the playful detective smirked, holding an open hand towards you.

With a simple roll of your eyes, you slapped his hand away. "Come on."

You began walking, not bothering to wait for your companion since you knew his long strides would allow him to catch up to you in no time.

"I see you're as feisty as ever, (Y/ N)-chan," you heard him comment from behind you. "Oh, how you never manage to disappoint! You know that's what I've always loved about you!"

"I'm aware you're suicidal, Dazai-kun, but you're sounding more and more like a masochist each time we meet." you said, glancing back at the dark-haired detective.

Dazai simply just chuckled as he caught up next to you. The two of you made your way down the street, admiring the beautiful scenery and relishing the serene atmosphere of the dark night with occasional shivers when the chilly breeze blew by and momentarily turning your skin to ice.

Both of you eventually reached the walkway next to the river. The water was no longer reflecting the vibrant blue of a sunny sky but now looked more like liquid night.

"So, how's life been?" Dazai suddenly spoke up from next to you, finally breaking the silence. "I haven't seen you at café for a while. Could it be that you've encountered life-changing events?!"

You sighed at his question. "No, not at all. I've just been slaving away at work and getting super annoyed at my co-workers for flaunting their fantastic love lives in my face every single day. Don't be surprise if you see me on the paper charged for inhumane murder one of these days."

"Ah, rest assured I'd be the first to visit you at your prison cell, (Y/ N)-chan." Dazai grinned. "I'd still pursue you even if you were given a death sentence. In fact, I'd be more than willing to join you! Ah, isn't that a marvelous idea!"

Rolling your eyes at your companion's outrageous fantasies, you let out a huff. "You're ridiculous."

"But is that not what you adore the most about me?" the brown-haired male asked, obviously teasing you and enjoying every second of it. "Actually, if you think about it, this pleasant stroll seems almost like a midnight rendezvous! Like those in the dramas, filled with delicious secrets and stolen kisses!"

Just as you were about to respond to his crazy assumptions, a laughing little boy abruptly appeared out of nowhere and was running towards the two of you. Moving quick, you jumped aside to prevent yourself from colliding with the incoming child. "Dazai-kun, look out!"

Your brown-haired companion let out a cry as he hopped aside just in time to avoid the boy from crashing into his inhumanly long legs. The child carried on giggling as though nothing happened and completely oblivious to his potential obstacles that stood before him mere moments ago.

"I nearly stepped on him!" Dazai exclaimed, tearing your gaze away from the boy to look at the tall male.

You blinked, taking a few seconds to register his words, and broke out into laughter. "Yea, just goes to show how big of a giant you are, Dazai-kun!"

"How many times do I have to tell you? I'm of perfect height, (Y/ N)-chan." he said. "You all are just simply unfortunate and are cursed with dwarfism."

As you were about to open your mouth and make a retort to his claim, you heard someone calling from the distance. Turning in the direction of the voice, you saw a man calling out towards the little boy who had just ran past you and Dazai. The man, whom you surmised was his father, spread out his arms and the boy jumped into his embrace in a way that reminded you of touching family movies. You released a sigh at the sight, a slight smile playing on your lips.

"That seems nice," you murmured and you felt your companion's gaze on you. "Having a family of your own."

Dazai offered a gentle smile and nodded.

"Would you like to have a kid someday, Dazai-kun? If so, would you want a boy or a girl?" you asked, glancing over to him. "Of course I'm only asking this for fun. Just wanted to make sure you don't get any wrong ideas."

Despite your last words, Dazai's smile widened and he gave a playful wink that made you roll your eyes. "Oh, I wouldn't dream of it, (Y/ N)-chan... Although I can't say for certain that it'd be wise for me to have a child in the future given my line of profession, I would honestly like to, and a boy at that!"

The ends of your lips quirked up into a smirk. "And why is that? Don't think you can handle raising a girl?"

"I'm certain my poor old heart would combust if some perverted boy came along wanting to steal my baby girl away from me! I assure you, (Y/ N)-chan, that if I don't die from a heart attack, then I'd die trying to pry that indecent scoundrel's filthy hands off my precious baby girl!" Dazai cried out theatrically.

You simply shook your head, laughing at your over-dramatic companion. "Calm down, Dazai-kun."

Dazai huffed. "What about you, (Y/ N)-chan? Would you rather want a boy or girl?"

"I'd want... a boy." you smiled to yourself before looking back at Dazai. "Raising a boy would be a challenge and you know that I'm always up for one."

The brown-haired detective broke into a smile of his own and stuck his hands into his pockets. "I see, seems like we have another thing in common. This stroll has been quite enlightening." he gave a small tilt of his head, beckoning you to move forward. "Care you continue, (Y/ N)-chan?"

With a smile, you nodded and the two of you walked on into the night with talks of past stories and future dreams.