👶🏻 Twenty-Five: What If 👶🏻

note: This one-shot takes place before you and Dazai started dating (and got married).

Leaves rustled in the cold night wind as drops of rain began to fall, diminishing any remaining heat in the earth left by a day's worth of hot sun. In the streets, people could be seen opening their umbrellas and pulling out their raincoats while others who had neither and were left defenseless to the oncoming downpour rushed to seek shelter at nearby bars and restaurants.

(Y/ N) exhaled a relieved breath as she turned her gaze away from the window slowly being stained by the falling rain. "It's a good thing work ended early today or else I would've gotten my documents wet." she said to her brown-haired companion sitting opposite her at their table in the café.

Dazai hummed in agreement and took a sip from his cup of coffee. "But it seems that we might have to stay here a little longer than expected tonight."

The girl sighed and gently drummed her fingertips against the ceramic of her cup of tea. "Well, it can't be helped. Guess we'll just have to pass the time with more small talk."

A sly smirk played on the brown-haired male's lips at her words. "Sounds like a wonderful date, (Y/ N)-chan." he teased as he placed his cup back on the table.

Despite the eye-roll that (Y/ N) gave her companion, the ends of her lips were quirked up into a small smile. "How's work been, Dazai-kun?"

"Extraordinarily boring." the brown-haired male moaned. "We haven't gotten any missions for a while now and Kunikida-kun just keeps nagging at me to do boring paperwork every day."

"I mean, you probably should." (Y/ N) said, somewhat sympathizing with her companion's blonde colleague. "You are getting paid after all."

"But it's so boring!" Dazai groaned, slumping against his seat. His chocolate eyes then looked up to meet (Y/ N)'s. "How about you, (Y/ N)-chan? Anything interesting happening at your workplace that could possibly drag me out of my state of utter boredom from the lack of excitement at mine?"

The girl took a sip of her tea while she thought for a few moments. She couldn't help but let out a small sigh of content as the beverage brought warmth to her nearly freezing body. "Well, not much really... but one of my colleagues got engaged recently and the damn woman keeps bragging and showing off her stupid wedding ring!"

"My, my, my, are you perhaps jealous, (Y/ N)-chan?" Dazai asked, his smirk growing so wide that it could've given the Cheshire Cat a run for his money.

"What? Don't be ridiculous! Of course not..." she trailed off, a light blush dusting her cheeks. "It's just that... I don't know, after that colleague got engaged, I started noticing that everyone else at work is either already married or in a long-term relationship that will potentially lead to marriage."

"Ah... So you're feeling lonely." the brown-haired detective observed.

(Y/ N) sighed again. "Maybe."

"Hmm... I see..." Dazai said, thoughtful. He immediately broke into a wide grin when an idea struck him. "Alright, (Y/ N)-chan, here's a concept... what if the two of us got married."

(Y/ N) blinked at his abrupt suggestion. After finally registering his words, the girl simply shook her head, smiling. "I think you'll have to work on your flirting skills a bit more if you're still planning to woo me, Dazai-kun."

"You certainly don't make things easy for me, do you, (Y/ N)-chan?" Dazai smiled lazily. "But rest assured, I'll make you my wife someday!"

"Give it your best shot," (Y/ N) smiled back. "I can just tell you that it'll definitely be a challenge."