👶🏻 Fourteen: Calls 👶🏻

You had just finally managed to find your seat after getting onto the train back home to Yokohama. For the past three days, you had to go on a short work trip to Sapporo, leaving your husband to take care of your son alone at home.

You let out an exhausted sigh as you placed your luggage down on floor and slumped against the train's seats. It had been a long and tired day which involved you having to wake up at 5 a.m. to attend a Skype call meeting with your colleagues and boss in other countries, running a bunch of errands that you had completely forgotten the purpose for by now, and finally rushing to catch the train home all by 4 p.m..

Your eyelids felt extremely heavy and at that very moment, you felt like you had never wanted more than a nap in your entire life. However, before you allowed yourself to drift into sweet slumber, you took your phone out from your jacket pocket and texted your husband.

From: (Y/ N)

To: Osamu

I've just gotten on the train. Will be back soon xx

After pressing 'send', you immediately adjusted into a more comfortable position in your seat and closed your eyes.

Just then, your phone ringtone suddenly filled the small space of your train cabin and awoken you before you could fully succumb to the sweet embrace of sleep. Your tired eyes flew open in irritation and you grabbed your phone from your pocket and answered the call.

"Hello?" you grumbled.

"(Y/N)! I'm so glad you're coming back!" your husband's too-cheerful voice spoke through the phone, making your eye twitch slightly in annoyance. "I have missed you so much! And of course, Shuuji does too, but not as much as I do! Ah~ I can't wait to see you again, (Y-"

"Osamu," you interrupted your husband's rambling. "I miss you too but please if you don't mind, I want to take a nap. I woke up really early today and I'm really tired right now."

"O-oh, alright then, (Y/ N). Nap well and I'll talk to you later, my love!" he exclaimed, the cheerfulness still in his tone.

"Thanks, Osamu. I appreciate it." you murmured and ended the call.

You tossed the phone aside onto the empty seat next to you, resumed your earlier sleeping position and finally allowed yourself to fall into a restful sleep.

***

By the time you woke up from your nap, it was already dinner time. Although you felt lazy, your grumbling stomach compelled you to get out of your train cabin and head to the dining car. Almost immediately upon entering the car with its elegant interior and décor, your nose was met with the appetizing smell of warm and freshly cooked food.

You let out a small hum of delight at the delicious smell and it made you all the more eager for dinner. Quickly, you went and sat down at an empty table. You glanced through the menu and your mouth nearly watered at the variety of dishes offered.

After you had chosen your dish, you called for the waiter and placed your order. He gave a light nod and left to the kitchen. You smiled and clapped your hands in excitement as you waited for your food.

To your surprise, your food came much faster than you had expected. You thanked the waiter for his service and focused your attention back on the hot meal in front of you. You were just about to dig in when an idea popped into your mind.

"I should take a picture and send it to Osamu," you said to yourself.

You took out your phone from your bag which you had brought with you and snapped a picture of the mouth-watering dish.

"He's going to be so jealous!" you giggled to yourself as you sent the picture to your husband.

You then placed your phone back in your bag and grabbed your fork and knife, ready to devour your meal. However, before you could even take a bite of your food, your phone started to ring in your bag. Your face twisted in irritation as you put down your utensils and reached for your phone.

It was your husband calling again.

"Yes, Osamu?" you answered, annoyance lingering in your voice.

"That looks soooo good, (Y/ N)! I can't believe you're eating something so fancy without me!" he exclaimed in his usual cheerful tone. "Meanwhile Shuuji and I are eating oden that I bought from the stall near our house."

"I see," you sighed as your stomach let out another loud groan in hunger. "Listen, Osamu, I'm sorry but I'm kind of hungry right now, is it alright if we talk later after dinner?"

"Oh, yea, sure, sure, sure. Go enjoy your meal, my beloved (Y/N)!"

"Thank you." You said and ended the call.

You released another sigh and put your phone back in your bag. Your gaze shifts back onto the food in front of you. "Now it's time to eat."

***

It was late at night and you had just finished showering and brushing your teeth. You were planning to read a book before going to bed but you were already having trouble keeping your eyes open by then. You hopped into your cabin bed and just when you were about to go to turn the side lap off and go to sleep, you decided to text your husband a goodnight wish.

You grabbed your phone from the small lamp table next to you and started typing.

From: (Y/ N)

To: Osamu

I'm going to sleep now, Osamu. Sweet dreams and good night. Kiss Shuuji on the head for me, will you? xx

Right after you hit the 'send' button and was ready to sleep, your phone rang, earning a loud annoyed sigh from you. You casted your head down, put the phone to your ear, and answered the call.

"Hello?" you grumbled, not bothering to hide your exasperation by this point.

"Oh, you're going to sleep already, (Y/ N)? That's so early! You usually don't go to sleep-"

"OSAMU!" you blurted, interrupting your husband in the middle of his rambling. "Why do you keep calling me? You know you can just reply to my texts by texting me back, right?"

There was a pause of silence on the other end of the line. Your irritation suddenly vanished and you quirked your eyebrows in concern.

"Osamu?" you questioned. "Are you there?"

"Yes, my love," your husband's voice replied with a hint of dismal in his tone. "I'm still here."

"I... I'm sorry, Osamu, I didn't mean to yell at you, it's just that I-" you started to apologize as a wave of guilt washed over you.

"It's alright, (Y/ N), I understand." he said, cutting you off. "I'm aware that my constant calls are annoying you but I just can't help myself."

"Huh?"

He let out a soft chuckle and you could easily imagine him with a gentle smile on his face.

"I miss you very much, (Y/ N)," he continued. "Even though you've only been gone for a few days, I miss you, and I want to hear your voice. That's why I keep wanting to call you."

"Osamu..." you trailed off, looking down in guilt. "I'm really sorry... I didn't know... I miss you too."

"That's good to know," he murmured. "I'm not the only one who's feeling alone. It's comforting in a way."

Your lips tugged up into a soft smile at his words. "Don't worry, that feeling's not going to last for long. I'll be back soon, Osamu, and I swear I'll give you the biggest hug and longest kiss in in the world when I do."

"I'll look forward to it then, my love." he chuckles again and you felt your heart skip a beat. "See you soon."

"See you soon, Osamu."