⏳ Twenty-Nine: The Past and the Future - P.t 1 ⏳

Your eyes slowly fluttered open and were instantly greeted by bright rays of sunlight that managed to trespass through the gaps of the curtain of the bedroom window. Blinking your eyes in an attempt to allow them to adjust to the sudden brightness, you eased yourself up into a sitting position on the bed.

Running a hand through your messy bedhead, you glanced to the side of the bed to find your boyfriend asleep with his own head looking like an explosion of dark brown curls. You couldn't help the smile that broke across your face at the sight of the beautiful dark-haired male. The two of you had known each other for two years and been dating for almost a year by this point, yet there were still times where you couldn't believe that this amazing human being was yours.

Your boyfriend turned to face you on the bed and cracked open an eye. "You know, I'd recommend you to take a picture if you find my sleeping form so inhumanly majestic."

Your cheeks immediately burned from both his words and being caught staring. "D-Dazai-san! Were you pretending to be asleep?!"

"Perhaps." Your boyfriend hummed with a lazy smile as he turned to face the ceiling and rested his arms behind his head.

You let out an irritated groan. "You're awful."

"I was expecting a wittier remark but that will do, I suppose." Dazai yawned nonchalantly. "Are you not heading to work today, (Y/ N)-san? Normally I wouldn't get the chance of seeing your pretty face when I wake up in the mornings."

"That's because you normally wake up at noon," you whacked him with a pillow. "And I do, but not at the office. I'm supposed to have a lunch meeting with my boss and a client later in town."

Before Dazai could reply, his phone suddenly started ringing, making the dark-haired detective groan. Despite this, he didn't make any attempt to pick up the call. After several seconds had passed and it still seemed like he wasn't going to answer it anytime soon, you whacked him again with the pillow.

"Answer the phone, you lazy ass!" you hissed.

Dazai let out a small cry of pain from the whack and turned to look at you with big puppy-dog eyes and a pleading pout. When you didn't budge, he sighed and reluctantly reached for the phone sitting on top of the chest drawers next to his side of the bed.

"Hello-" he tried to answer but was immediately cut off by Kunikida's voice yelling on the other end.

"DAZAI-SAN, WHERE ON EARTH ARE YOU?! DID YOU FORGET THAT WE HAVE TO FINISH THE WHOLE YEAR'S WORTH OF PAPERWORK TODAY?! I SWEAR IF YOU DON'T GET DOWN HERE IN 5 MINUTES, I'LL SEE TO IT THAT YOU WON'T DIE A PAINLESS DEATH!" you cringed at the sound of his blonde colleague's yells. His voice was so loud that you could even hear it with frightening clarity without the speaker.

"Alright, alright, I'll head to the agency." Dazai sighed, laziness written prominently over his features. "There's no need to get your underwear in a twist, Kunikida-kun."

"WHY I OUGHT TO-" your boyfriend's enraged colleague began to yell but was instantly cut off as Dazai swiftly ended the call without even bothering to let the blonde finish.

The dark-haired detective released another loud sigh and rolled around on your shared bed. "Kunikida-kun is always so bossy, and I hate paperwork."

"Dazai-san," you gave him a stern look. "What are you still lying in bed for? I thought you promised him that you would head over to the agency?"

Dazai let out another yawn. "Correction, I told him that I would be there, but I didn't exactly pinpoint a time."

It was your turn to sigh and you had never felt more sympathetic towards Kunikida in your entirely life than at that moment. Without warning, you gave your lazy boyfriend another harsh pillow whacking which eventually made him jump up from bed and headed straight to the bathroom to get changed.