Chapter 23: Special Ops Man

Practice goes quick and Callie decides to take Josh up on his offer. She finds herself at his place. Climbing out of her car, she walks up to the front door, knocking. Standing there waiting, hearing him moving around inside. The ice wrapped around her shoulder beginning to melt.

            "Hey," Josh greets, opening the door. "Come in," he leans down and kisses her softly.

            Callie walks in, shutting the door behind her. Looking around, she eyes pictures and a guitar in the corner. Callie also noting a bag packed with a laptop sticking out of one pocket. Without saying anything, she follows Josh into the kitchen.

            "Do you want anything to drink?"

            "Water's fine, thank you," she answers.

            "How was class?" he asks, handing over a bottle of water.

            "It was alright. How was your day?"

            "It was good. I got another assignment today so tomorrow I have to catch a flight out for a few weeks," Josh reveals.

            "Oh, where are you going?" Callie asks, sliding on a barstool seat.

            "That is one thing I am not allowed to tell you," Josh looks over at her while leaning against the counter.

            "Okay," Callie sighs.

            "I'm on a Special Ops team. I wish I could tell you more, but I can't."

            "Special Ops huh?" Callie asks.

            "Yes," he says, crossing his arms.

            "Sounds dangerous," she winks.

            "It's not so bad," he shrugs.

            "Well, it sounds dangerous," she says once more. She rises from her seat and walks over, sliding her arms around his torso.

            "I'll only be gone a few weeks. At the most a month," he says, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing the top of her head.

            "I hate that you can't tell me."

           "I that I can't tell you too," Josh agrees.

            "How would they even know?"

            "You would know, and you can't know what I do," Josh smirks.

            Callie looks at him, a pout forming on her face.

            "Come on, let's go lay down," Josh insists.

            "I need to take this off," she points to the now all liquid bag on her shoulder.

            "When I get back I'll have to come and watch a game," he says, walking into the bedroom with her after discarding the bag of water.

            "You haven't been to any of the games? Ever? Disappointed in you," Callie smiles, winking at him.

            "Hey, I've been a little busy. You know, protecting our country and all," Josh says.

            "Right and we appreciate you doing that," Callie gives him a peck and lays down on his bed.

            "You have a game tomorrow right?"

            "Yeah. I'm on the mound tomorrow. I threw some extra pitches today to make sure I'm ready," she yawns. "They have one of the best hitters in the country."

            "Well, don't throw so much at the cost of you though," Josh says a bit concerned.

            "I just want to be the best."

            "Which you're already getting there, but if you hurt yourself, it won't be worth anything," Josh says, laying down beside her.

            "I know."

            "Just don't over do it, okay?"

            "Yes dad," she smirks, closing her eyes.

            "That's a little weird, don't you think? Also considering that your parents don't like me very much."

            "I'm sure my parents forgot all about you."

            "I'm not so convinced of that," he says, kissing her shoulder.

            "I bet you ten bucks that they don't even remember you."

            "I bet you fifty that they do," Josh says.

            "Now you're just pushing it."

             "Nah, I don't think so," he says.