24 ♚ Sorrowful Closure

: 24

— Sorrowful Closure 

Years passed.  There were times when you thought about giving up on everything; giving up and ending it all.  But you planned to keep your promise to Lawliet. All you wanted now was for Light to be captured.

“Can I talk to you?” a certain voice asked.

You were getting a little tired of Light’s voice. 

You sighed.  “What is it?”

He put his hand against the wall, making it awkward. His face was inches from yours. You tried to turn away slightly. 

“What do you want, Light?”

“I’m sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved him.”

You tried not to show too much emotion.  “That was years ago.  I’d rather not talk about it, if that’s fine.”

“Then why don’t we talk about…” he put his hand on your cheek, “us?”

“Excuse me?”

He put his face closer to yours, making an attempt to kiss you. You turned your head just in time, though he still managed to give you a peck on the cheek.

“Cut it out.”

“What, don’t you like me?” he had an evil grin on his face.

You responded with silence and a glare.

He finally pulled away.  “Well, that’s just too bad.”

He’s just trying to make me vulnerable towards him so that I’ll be on his side, isn't he, you thought as Light walked out, but I’ll never let that happen, Lawliet.

“Today’s the day,” you whispered to the picture of him in your hotel room.

Light would be captured thanks to Near, L’s successor. You were sure he had gathered enough evidence to bring this case to a close.

“Hey!  We’re going to meet with Near now!”

“Be right there!”

You turned back to the picture briefly.

“Wish me good luck,” you sighed, then dashed out the door.

 * * *

“Fine. We’ll wait for thirty more minutes,” Mogi agreed reluctantly. 

You stared at Near’s mask of L’s face.  It was quite odd.  He wanted to make sure nobody was outside, specifically Mikami Teru.  Mikami Teru, the person Light chose to be the next Kira.

“What!  So you just expect us to sit here and watch when we’re going to get killed!”

“Yes.”

Near’s voice was like the thirteen-year-old version of L’s. You wondered if they were related in some way.

“How can you be so calm at a time like this!”

“No one is going to die. Speak of the devil, he's here."

Multiple gasps were heard from the SPK and the task force.

You could sense Mikami’s presence. He began writing names down in his Death Note; you could hear him scribbling down something.

Twenty seconds…

“If it isn’t too much trouble for you, Mikami, I’d like for you to come in here and join us,” Near said ever so calmly.

The door creaked open.