12 ♚ Intellect

: 12

— Intellect 

Cough medicine wasn't something to drool over.

I didn’t want to drink it, but I didn’t really have a choice if I wanted to get rid of my fever. Whenever Lawliet heard me cough or sneeze, which wasn’t very often in the day, he would tell me to get some rest. But I protested, only continuing to look through files and come up with the best theories I could imagine, even if they involved supernatural beings. He didn’t take a liking to the whole possibility of a shinigami-related factor.

There were three grown men who stood in the doorway of the hotel room. One wore a tense expression on his face, almost as if he was making an attempt to hide anxiousness. Maybe he simply didn’t want to be working on such a case. I had yet to find out why. Another had very bushy hair and dark skin. As for the third man, he had dark skin and slightly bushy hair as well, but not nearly as much as the second man. One thing about all of them was certain, and that was the fact that they were the other members of the task force Matsuda had told me about (and the one I was now a part of).

Lawliet stirred in the extra bits of sugar he added into his tea so that it would dissolve all the way before he drank it. He didn’t bother to look up at the three men when he spoke to him, though. “Good evening.”

“Good evening, Ryuzaki,” the first man said, the other two bowing in unison. “Is there a reason you’ve asked us to come here?”

“Well, other than to work more on the case, I’d like you to meet a new member of the task force,” he stated blankly, taking a sip of the tea afterwards.

Their eyes wandered the room, and all three of them finally noticed that I was the only person who didn’t look familiar to them. They then looked back at Ryuzaki, who finally replied after looking at them with no expression whatsoever. 

“This is Kyou Hayashi,” he said.

They greeted me in order. “I’m Soichiro Yagami,” said the first man.

“I’m Suichi Aizawa.”

“And I’m Kanzo Mogi.”

“Pleased to meet you,” I smiled good-naturedly at them, shaking their hands one at a time.

I might as well have made a good first impression. Luckily for me, I made the right choice to do so; the case took years. But I didn’t know that at that point in time, of course.

“You as well,” Mogi replied.

Soichiro Yagami. I assumed he was Chief Yagami, the prime suspect’s father. What if he knew about Light being held in solitary confinement? By the looks of it, Lawliet was going to tell him sooner or later. He was very straightforward about things of this sort. Heck, he could be reporting some of the most morbid news one could hear without any expression at all, given that he now had more experience with being a detective than he ever has in the previous years.

My prediction was correct.

Lawliet exhaled deeply, and then pointed towards the numerous amount of small video screens. “I’d like to inform you about something. Your son is now being held here, in solitary confinement. He’s been provided with the basic necessities required for survival, so he should be alright,”

His statement even shocked me. Jeez, he practically just referred to Light as a pet.

Chief Yagami looked over with wide eyes, and his jaw dropped. He was speechless at the sight of his son in that state; that is until he raised his fist and banged it on the table.