06 ♚ Fluttering Heart

06

— Fluttering Heart 

I sat at a small table in the coffee shop next door, across from Lawliet. He was hunched over as always, and staring straight into his coffee cup. He had the usual blank stare on his face, but that expression could mean anything, really. It could mean he was tired, it could mean he was bored, or he was in deep thought. Maybe it was even another kind of feeling he was experiencing. But sometimes, despite all of these years knowing him, I had not a single clue what he could possibly be thinking about.

This wasn’t one of those cases, though. I assumed he was thinking about the Kira case. I could also infer that he was most likely a detective, or something of that sort.

But it was a little unusual for a detective to have such luxuries. Based on what I've seen and heard, they usually sat in an office and did some snooping around to get their jobs done.

“Ryuzaki.”

“Hm?”

“I watched some of the news yesterday.  L is already investigating; is what you're doing really necessary?  Putting yourself in danger isn't the best decision.”

Through his blank expression, I could see a very slight grimace in his eyes.

“So why are you putting so much time and effort into this?” I asked quietly.

He hesitated, and then began to stir more sugar cubes into his coffee. “Things are complicated. I might be able to explain a little to you before you leave for home again. Speaking of which, are you planning on staying here for university?”

“It would be a waste of money not to.”

“Very well. Let’s get back to the hotel, then.”

I nodded, and one last time, he stared out the window momentarily.  To my dismay, I couldn’t get myself to quit taking in those features. My heart beat became rapid as I thought of running my fingers through his black hair and staring into his black eyes.

I shook my head vigorously at the thought and exhaled deeply, rolling my eyes as though these actions would clear my mind of such mental images.

He looked at me. “You alright?”

I nodded.

“Hm,” he began. “Your cheeks appear to be flushed.”

I gulped and shook my head from side to side. “I’m not. I’m... I’m wearing blush.”

He raised an eyebrow at me. “You hate makeup.”

“Maybe I decided to change that,” I lied.

“But you don’t need it," he stated simply.  "Not one bit."

I looked down briefly as he took another sip of coffee.

“Hey Ryuzaki?” I asked, peering back up to see that others were beginning to look in our direction.

“Hm?”

More people began to stare. I didn’t blame them; seeing a man being handcuffed to a woman wasn’t a common sight.  The fact that Lawliet was already hunched over and barefoot in his seat just added on to the peculiarity.

“You’re right, I guess we should go,” he replied, clearly not in need of explanation.

He stood up after leaving a tip and held his arms out in an awkward fashion that nearly made me choke on my own coffee.  It would be ridiculous for him to carry me bridal-style when everyone was already staring at us.

I shook my head lightly and balanced myself on the edge of the table for a few long seconds as I looked at him.  Thankfully, Lawliet caught on and swung my arm around his neck so as to look like someone merely helping an injured friend.

With that, I limped alongside him as we walked back to headquarters.

* * *

I rested my forehead on the side of his neck as we made our way up the steps and over to the surveillance room. 

“Hey, Ryuzaki!” Matsuda cheerily exclaimed as we walked in. “I wanted to ask you something. Where exactly are all of the cameras located?”

I looked over to the multiple rows of television screens. It looked like it was in someone’s house. My prediction was correct; Lawliet confirmed it.

“The household in which Light lives,” he replied.

Matsuda’s eyes widened. “Wait," he began anxiously, as though he hadn't heard something so absurd in his life.  "Please don't tell me you're talking about...”

Lawliet sighed. “Matsuda, I’ve already informed you about the fact that Light Yagami is a prime suspect, haven’t I?”

“But, Ryuzaki!" Matsuda exclaimed.  "That’s Chief Yagami’s home!  His wife and his daughter live there too, you know!”

“I’ve already told him about how things have played out in terms of suspicion," Lawliet replied calmly.  "I believe you’re smart enough to infer that he wasn’t too happy about it, am I correct?”

Matsuda was about to protest, but he shut his mouth and nodded instead.

“Well, Kyou,” Lawliet began, looking up at me once again.  “Time for me to go through more of this footage.”

“How many hours?”

“Twenty-four,” he replied, eating a single mochi cake in one mouthful afterwards.

My eyes widened. “Are you ever going to get any sleep?”

He only smiled sheepishly after swallowing the cake.

I sighed in reply, but had to sit next to him the entire time. Soon, I got to see what Light looked like. He was a rather attractive teenage boy with caramel-colored hair and eyes. He wore his school uniform, and seemed to carry himself well. But for a split second, as he turned before he walked out, I could have sworn I saw a flicker of red in his eyes.

I drifted off to sleep as soon as it became late, not quite understanding how Lawliet could possibly stare at nothing for such a long period of time.

* * *

It was pitch black in the halls of the hotel, except for a sliver of light that came from the crack in a doorway. I walked towards it. I suddenly heard a man gasp, and the evil laugh of another man. Someone was in trouble. I ran towards the doorway and peeked in. Terror pulsed through my body as I caught sight of Lawliet, lying on the floor and gasping for air. He looked like he was in excruciating pain.

I cupped my trembling hands to my mouth. It all felt so real.

I looked up slightly. A man, laughing madly to the point where he was breathing heavily, stood there in front of Lawliet with an expression so evil it sent chills running down my spine. The man was who I suspected it to be.

It was Light Yagami.