19 ♚ Jealousy

: 19

Jealousy 

"Let's go, Light," Lawliet said as he started up the stairs.

"Where are we going?" Light asked.

"To Amane's room,"

He paused and looked back at you, "Why don't you come along too, _____?"

"...sure," you ran up to where they where going.

"Want some?" Lawliet said, offering Light a piece of chocolate cake.

"I'm alright,"

"How about you, _____?"

"Sure, thanks."

"You're the first person to ever accept my offer on sweets," Lawliet smiled.

"So you wanted to ask me something?" Misa asked Lawliet.

"Correct. If you could pick between Light and Kira, which one would you rather be with?"

She gasped, ran over to Light and leaned on his shoulder.

"Light, of course! I love him so much that I would die for him!"

"And what if Light where Kira?"

"Then that would be like a bonus for me!" she shouted.

"I see," Lawliet stated blankly, and pressed his thumb to his lips.

"And I would never dream of a world without Light!"

"Yes, Misa is undoubtedly the perfect woman for Light," he said, looking at you while rolling his eyes.

You wanted to giggle.

"Yay! You're the best, Ryuzaki!"

But something had happened that made your heart stop. Misa kissed Lawliet's cheek! He had a rather shocked expression, and slowly reached up to the spot on his face.

"I could actually fall for you," 

You didn't know how to react, still in shock.

"I've gotta go to the bathroom!" you shouted as you made your way out the door.

What was that? There was a really slim chance that he meant what he said, right? Was that just to throw her off? Was it to raise some kind of reaction from Light? You thought out all the possibilities in your head.

Your heart was sinking.

"________?" you heard Light's voice.

Oh no, not him! And not only that, he was chained to Lawliet, which meant that he would be following. 

"Are you alright?" Light asked.

"Yes, I'm perfect!"

"Bragging, eh?" Light smiled at you. 

You attempted without success to hold back a small giggle. You hated when you were angry and someone mad you laugh!

"No, I mean that I'm feeling perfect!" you sighed, trying not to sound too sour.

He put his hand on your shoulder. "Your eyes look a little watery,"

Why did he just have to say that in front of Lawliet!

"Light, I'm fine! See?" you faked your best smile.

Light was acting differently; his voice wasn't annoyingly smooth. It was so innocent, so friendly.
Could it be that he wasn't currently Kira? Or maybe Kira's powers passed on to someone else.

"_______?" Lawliet asked.

"I'm gonna get some air, okay?"

"May I ask what the reason is?"

"It's really pretty outside tonight. I'd like to go now. Please don't follow me," 

You looked out at the stars and the moon, trying to clear your mind. It felt odd being a little heartbroken. And by your best friend. Actually, you realized, by the man I love.

The balcony door slid open. You turned around. Misa-Misa? "Hi, ______! What are you doing out here?" 

She was as cheery as always.

"Oh. Hi, Misa," you tried to smile at her. You didn't dislike her, but it hurt a little to see some girl kiss Lawliet's cheek. And him saying that he could fall for her just made it worse.

"Why do your eyes look puffy?" she tilted her head to the side.

"I just have allergies, that's all,"

"... If you say so. Come on, why don't we get back inside?" she smiled at you.

"Kira is definitely among the members of the Yotsuba group," you say, looking through the files.
Only you, Lawliet, and Light where in the room.

"I suppose there isn't any other logical reasoning, is there?" Light looked at Ryuzaki.

"No, there isn't."

Lawliet stared at you with those dark eyes.

He began to write on a sheet of paper. Oh, right. Light was standing right there. 

Are you alright? Lawliet wrote on it.

You scribbled something else down in your neater handwriting. Yep, no worries.

Handing the paper back to him, you flashed him your friendly smile again. He looked at you as if he suspected you weren't telling him the truth. You tried to shake the thought of Misa and Lawliet being together, but it only kept getting worse and worse. 

"I think I should be leaving now,"

You slowly started turning towards the door.

"Hold up," Lawliet stared at you seriously.

Oh no, you think, what do I say to him?

"Look, Ryuzaki. I'm just a little homesick," 

"Why don't you get some rest right now?" Light said. You then made your way to your room.

"Why did it hurt that much?" you wondered out loud in your bed. With your tear-streaked face, you fell asleep.

* * *

Third Person POV

"Tell me, Light. Do you have any idea why ______ was acting so strange?"

"Well I know that it wasn't because she was homesick."

"Her eyes did appear to be puffy. But it didn't look like she had allergies."

Light finally came up with a conclusion. "Do you think that maybe it's because you said you could fall for Misa?" 

"What? Oh, I did say that. But isn't she smart enough to know that it wasn't true at all?"

"Maybe she... loves you, Ryuzaki," 

There was a long pause. He then replied. "No, that isn't likely. We barely know each other," 

Lawliet still wasn't openly stating anything about how you and him were childhood friends.

He took a bite of his ice cream, which was drowned in highly-sweetened chocolate syrup.