03 ♚ Reunited

03

— Reunited 

My conversations with Lawliet were probably something that helped me get into pretty much any good university, even though I was already performing exceptionally well during core lessons.  This was part of the reason I'd been able to attend school at the Wammy's Orphanage.  My mom had really been struggling to keep things together, and so the administrators were kind and generous enough to take me in.

The warm summer days had flown by as I applied for every college I could get into in the country of Japan.  Application deadlines needed to be met soon.  I felt I was able to get into most of the universities I’d applied for.  Learning a sufficient amount of the Japanese language in the span of three months wasn’t as bad as most would think. Maybe it was because of the fact that I really worked my tail off, and did so with enthusiasm.  I sure hope that it’ll do me good during my stay in that country.

I gave my mom one final embrace before heading onto my flight.  "Don’t be sad, mom.  It’s not like this is the last time we’ll see each other, okay?  I'll chat with you whenever I can.”

“I know, I know,” she smiled sadly.  "I just don't know where the time has gone."

“Trust me, I’m still as clumsy and immature as ever!” I giggled.  Then I realized that it probably caused her a bit of discomfort.  Great, I bet she thought I’d run into even more accidents in Japan than I do here.  “But I’ll be careful!” I laughed nervously.

“Flight nine.  Your flight has arrived and will now begin to load its passengers.  Flight nine.”

“Be safe, Kyou.”

“I will, mom,” I smiled.

* * *

I nearly tripped on my way out of the Asahikawa Airport in Hokkaido.  So much for what I'd said earlier. 

“Arigatou gozaimasu,” I beamed at the man who drove me to Hotel Shizuki, bowing to show my gratitude.

“Dou itashi mashite, Hayashi-san,”  he replied kindly. 

The accommodations weren’t too great, but the view of the city at night was so nice that it made everything nearly perfect.  I looked out at the view of the streets and the lights that lit them this late at night.  I wondered if all of this effort was going to be worth it.

I woke up the next morning and spread out all of the admittance packages of the colleges I’d applied for and had gotten into.  I thought about what Lawliet would have said if he was sitting right across from me at that moment.

“What do you recommend?” I asked.

“Hm,” he said, pressing his thumb to his lips, “I’d go with these universities over here.”

“And why is that?”

"They're the best ones.  You're smart enough to succeed.  If your interviews go well, that is."

I laughed nervously.  "I'll do my best."

“But make a wise choice; you’ll be spending at least four years wherever you go, unless of course you decide to transfer.”

“Thanks, Ryuzaki,” I smiled.  "Not sure how I'd get by without your words of wisdom, hah."

“You’ve managed,” he muttered, staring blankly at the container of sugar cubes on my table, and then disappearing from my view.