10 ♚ Unease

10

Unease 

In a nearby Japanese airport, bustling people were buying things left and right and having lively conversations. With the smell of fresh seafood and noodles being cooked and eaten in the small shops, one would have probably mistaken it for a market if their eyes were closed. The reason I was here, though, was to return home. Bags of luggage were at my sides as I waited for my flight number to be called. I wanted to stay here in Japan, where Lawliet was and probably will be for the majority of the rest of his life. Although I knew I didn’t want to be separated from my best friend again, because this time it would most likely be for good, there was another reason I wanted to stay here with him; a reason I couldn’t quite pick out at that point in time.

Just as I was about to pick both of my bags up, I felt a light tap on my shoulder and jumped. The first thing I caught sight of when I turned around was a mask; one that resembled the face of a cartoon panda. I was about to shout ‘Gah!’ in shock, although I’d immediately realized who it was when I saw his messy black hair and invariable choice of clothing. “Hi there,” he said.

“What are you doing here, Ryuzaki?”

“I figured I’d make sure you were safely on your way back home, with this whole Kira situation.”

“May I ask why you have a mask on?” I queried.

“I told you why last night; the second Kira could quite possibly have the ability to kill someone by only looking at their face. And with us being in the Kanto region, where Kira is located, one is much more likely to be killed.”

“So I’m guessing the Kira and the second Kira have already made contact, then.”

He nodded. “We might blow our cover, so let’s just talk later about the confidential information.”

I opened my mouth to agree when another realization about what he’d said popped up into my mind. I wondered why he’d said that he would be talking to me later about it so casually when he hadn’t made an effort to contact me for two whole years.

“Ryuzaki, we won’t be contacting each other anymore, though, will we? I’ve tried to contact you for two years, you know.”

He was about to answer my question, but he had his head turned in the opposite direction. Through his mask, I could see his dark eyes observing something closely in the distance. I turned in the direction he was looking at, and was shocked myself. There was Light Yagami, standing in the same room that we were in.

As shown in the photographs of him that Lawliet had obtained, he was a man with caramel-colored hair and eyes, who wore a red long-sleeved shirt and dark jeans for that day in particular. The stance that his slim body was in gave off the impression that he was confident, although the expression he had on his face said otherwise. He appeared to be wary, although also showing that he was slightly irritated and annoyed. One would probably be curious as to why Light appeared that way for the time being, but if they payed a little more attention to his surroundings, they could probably figure the reason out.

Clinging to Light’s arm was the famous Japanese pop idol, Misa Amane. Light, although being taller than her, managed to get a mouthful of her blond hair every time she quickly turned her head to gaze in awe at her surroundings. She was giggling loudly and telling him how cute he was in great detail, afterwards saying that they should go on dates more often. Light seemed as though he were trying to shush her, although it clearly wasn’t working very well; Misa was still in her love spell. To his dismay, all of her loud giggling and gawking had brought attention to the two. 

“Misa,” I could see Light mouth to her irritably.

Although, the people who had stopped to stare in spite of her outbursts had come rushing towards her in realization. Misa appeared to be shocked, but also flattered. Soon, a large mass of people were huddled in the middle of the airport to have a look at the famous Japanese model and upcoming pop singer.

“Kyou,” he said, handing my bags to me and grabbing me by the hand. He began walking me towards the exit. “You need to go back to headquarters.”

“Why is that?” I asked, staring back at the retreating crowd of people.

“Your flight isn’t leaving until half an hour from now, is that correct?”

“Yeah,” I said in more of a question-asking tone as we continued walking.

“Well, I do plan on confronting Light, and I prefer you not be around us. He’ll probably make the assumption that you’re in association with me.”

“I didn’t think you’d be telling him that you were L, though,” I said.

“He won’t believe me, so I should be alright as long as Misa isn’t specifically looking for my name. She doesn’t seem like the brightest person, anyways, and I have a mask on.”

Watari’s car happened to be just outside the airport, and so Lawliet let go of my hand and allowed me to step into the car. After shutting the door, I rolled down the window. “Be safe,” I said worriedly.

“Will do,” he replied. I could hear the slight smile in his voice; the one he did whenever he was confident about something. 

Although I was reassured by this as I watched him jog back into the automatic doors of the front entrance through my now-closed window, I still couldn’t help but worry just a little. “Watari,” I began nervously, “you think he’ll be alright?”

“I wouldn’t worry too much, Miss Hayashi,” he replied as he began to drive away. “He’s L, after all. I believe he knows exactly what he’s doing.”

I looked through the glass window at the very back of the car until the airport was only a spec in my view. “Alright,” I sighed.