01 ♚ Departure

Author's Note

Okay, here's the deal. Listen up real well, kiddos. I wrote this in eighth grade. Eight years ago. I literally (screaming LITERALLY) took the anime and picked and chose from the canon plotline and switched things up, not intentionally, but because I just didn't know what the hell keepin the timeline canon meant at that point in my life. I just took random-ass events from the anime and figured "Oh, I can use this for the story!"

It was also originally written in second person, so... there's that. This means an extreme case of Death Note Mary Sue. And also heavy OOC-ness on not only every chapter, but every page! wOW AMAZING! Please set this story on fire. LMAO. I'm honestly just keeping this up for memory purposes. If I ever get a chance to "rewrite" the second half of the series, that will literally be what it is; simply fancying it up with better description and vocabulary. I can't make any plot timeline modifications because if I do, I would just have to completely redo the entire story (which isn't really a priority right now, sorry boo), and make the story entirely different from the original.

So if you're into cheesy crack fics and don't care that this doesn't correspond to the canon anime timeline (trust mE HONEY, IT REALLY IS THAT BAD), then go ahead and read to your heart's content, if ya wish. Thanks for your understanding!

: 01

Departure

It definitely wasn't going to be sunny today.  Light would usually fill my room from the window over my bed in the mornings, which would wake me before my alarm even had a chance to go off. To my dismay, however, I didn't exactly have the best of luck this time around. I'd cried myself to sleep so hard that I didn't even have time to take the simple action of setting my alarm. The fact that it was so gloomy outside just made everything worse.

I opened my eyes slowly and stared, with drooping eyelids, at the glowing numbers on my alarm clock. "Ten o'clock," I muttered, shutting my eyes once more.

The first thing that came into my mind, other than the desire to sleep more, was the time, even though I'd just said it out loud a few seconds beforehand.  The second thing I noticed was the significance of that day in particular.

"Gah!" I shouted, jumping out of my bed and getting ready as quickly as I possibly could.  Within a minute, I was out the door, leaping towards the gate with a slip that would admit me to par a visit to the airport.  For once, I was glad that it wasn't far from Wammy's House at all.

I sprinted through one of the many entrances, scanning the overwhelming sea of people as efficiently as I could.  I recalled Lawliet (or, Ryuzaki, as he preferred to be called) telling me something about his flight number, and I ran over to where I believe he said he'd be before his flight would take off.  I searched frantically for the man with messy black hair and terrible posture.

"Ryuzaki!" I shouted repeatedly, running as fast as I could.

I stopped, realizing I'd probably missed him; that I was too late.  After scanning and searching the majority of the area one more time to make sure, I fell to my knees, breathing heavily in exhaustion.

Tears began to spill out onto my cheeks.  This was the last time I'd ever get to see him before he'd moved all the way to Japan.  An exasperated sigh escaped me once I realized I'd overslept on such an important day.

"Kyou?" a smooth, velvety voice called my name from above me.

I hesitated before looking up, and my heart seemed to have stopped altogether once I finally did.  I stared up at the man who stood before me.  He wore baggy jeans, a loose long sleeve, and was hunched over even more than he usually was in order to have a closer look at me.  "Ryuzaki?" I asked, quickly brushing away a few stray tears.