14 ♚ Childishness

: 14

— Childishness 

All of us stood in a single hotel room as Misa squirmed in her seat, furrowing her brow. She grunted, glaring jealously at the handcuffs that connected Light and Lawliet. I couldn’t help but laugh a little on the inside, not quite being able to imagine why she’d feel this way. Light being handcuffed with another girl rather than Lawliet probably would have set Misa off on a rampage. 

“Do you two really have to be together twenty-four hours a day?” she pouted.

Light rolled his eyes in reply. “Yes, Misa,” he sighed. “That’s that way things are. You’ll just have to be cooperative with the situation for a while, all right?”

“Ugh!” she shouted, turning her glare towards Lawliet. “He’s my boyfriend, Ryuzaki! How am I supposed to go on weekly dates with him now that you guys have to be together all the time?!”

Lawliet didn’t have much of an expression despite the fact that Misa was yelling in his face. “Oh, you’ll still be able to go on dates,” he responded calmly. “I’ll just be standing by while the two of you are doing whatever you plan on doing,”

“What a pervert!” Misa shouted in Lawliet’s face once more.

She then turned her head towards me, and her glare turned into a crooked grin. I stared at her awkwardly, waiting for something to come out of her mouth.

“You know, Kyou,” she began, and then walked closer to me. “I’m getting the feeling that Ryuzaki won’t be too happy about being alone on the dates Light and I go on.”

She paused, waiting for me to get her point. “All right,” I said, scratching at the back of my head. “So where are you going with this?”

“Oh, you know,” she giggled, her famous innocent expression overcoming her face once again.

Light sighed once more. “Misa, I don’t think—”

“Don’t be silly, sweetheart,” she smiled cheekily. “It would be fun to go on a double date with the two of them, don’t you think, Light?”

“A double date, huh?” Lawliet asked quietly, pressing his thumb to his lips and chuckling at the childish term.

I’ve never gone out on a date with Lawliet like that. We’ve gone as friends before, of course, but there wasn’t really anything romantic involved.

Misa threw her hands up in the air. “Of course! It would be great. Just think about it,” she sighed dreamily, looking over at Light. “Light and I would be holding hands, and maybe he’ll even put his arm around me! You’ll need to do those things with Kyou, too, Ryuzaki!”

“Uh,” I gulped, blood beginning to rush to my cheeks out of embarassment.

Lawliet looked over at me. “Hm,” he muttered. “What do you think of that, Kyou?”

I raised an eyebrow at him, but Light was already trying to usher Misa out of the room before I could respond.

“You should go to your room, okay?”

“Aw,” she whined. “But I wanted to spend more time with you!”

Light smacked his hand onto his forehead. “We’ll be seeing each other plenty, Misa. Goodnight, now,”

Misa sighed, wearing a childlike expression as she looked up at Light one more time. “Could you carry me?” she pouted cutely.

Light’s eyes widened, and his expression was now distorted due to the strange request that his so-called girlfriend had given him. As for Lawliet and I, we looked at each other strangely, as if to ask each other how Misa managed to come up with these ideas. She whined for several minutes after Light refused to do such a thing, but finally calmed down after Light had placed both of his hands on her shoulders.

“Misa, please go to your room,” he sighed.

She blushed at the lack of distance between their faces. “Um… okay,” she replied quietly. “Goodnight, Darling! I’ll see you soon!” she giggled, and ran out.

Lawliet looked over at Light once Misa shut the door behind her. “So, Light, tell me something. Are you serious about Misa?”

“No, no,” Light said, shaking his head and laughing halfheartedly. 

“I see. Well, if you pretended to be interested in her, we could really gain a significant amount of important information. She isn’t suspicious of you in the slightest,”

Light gave Lawliet a strange look. “There’s no way I’d do that, Ryuzaki.”

I couldn’t really help the fact that Lawliet asking Light to play with Misa’s emotions made me wonder if Lawliet himself was doing that to me. It wasn’t likely, but who knew what Lawliet had up his sleeve? Even I couldn’t answer that question all the time.