Big Surprise

Big Surprise

Toph was excited. She couldn't help it! It was the first day of high school, which in and of itself was exciting since Toph loved any excuse to get out of her parent's house, but there was another reason as well. Kuzon had recently stolen another of Aang's letters from the mail pile before her parents found it and read it to her. According to the letter, Aang had somehow arranged a "big surprise" for her today. She knew that Kuzon had to be in on it, but no matter how much she threatened him or begged him, he just laughed and said she would have to wait and see.

"So, what're you all smiley for today?" Katara asked at breakfast in the cafeteria.
"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait to get home today!"

"It's your first day of freedom in three months and you already want to go back?" Zuko asked. "High school isn't that bad, Toph."

Zuko and Katara should know. This was their third year at the private school that Toph's parents had decided to send her to. Unfortunately, Sokka had graduated last year so Toph would not be seeing him around as well. Then again, maybe that was a good thing. Ever since he made valedictorian her parents had a rather different opinion of him.

"When are you going to invite Sokka and Katara over again?" her mother had began asking.

"Yes, maybe we could have their family over for dinner some time," he father concurred.

The last thing Toph needed was for her parents to be playing matchmakers with her and that loud-mouthed (though sometimes funny) buffoon.

"So . . . what's got you so excited if it's not seeing us?" Katara smiled as she elbowed Toph playfully.

"Okay, so you guys remember Aang, right?"

"You've mentioned him once or twice," Zuko replied sarcastically. Neither he nor Katara had ever actually met this kid, but Toph talked about him more than enough for them to feel as if they did.

"Well, his last letter said that he had a surprise for me today!"

"How's he gonna pull that off?" Katara asked. "I thought you said he moved."

"He did! That's why this is getting to me! Kuzon won't tell me a thing!"

Zuko nudged Katara in the side and gestured behind Toph. One of the other new students was slowly creeping up behind her. Katara stifled a giggle at the poor boy. Ever since Toph had begun her public education it had become a sort of game to the younger students to try and catch her by surprise. Of course no one had ever actually succeeded, and most ended up with bruises for their trouble, but now that she was in a much bigger school with many students who had no idea what she was capable of, the first few days promised to be quite entertaining.

Just as the boy came within arms reach of Toph's chair, she pushed herself out from the table, slamming the back of said chair into the poor kid's stomach. She then promptly pulled herself back to the table and took another bite of her sausage patty as Zuko laughed at the foolish boy's attempt.

"You know, Toph, you could be a little nicer," Katara chided.

"Hey, I didn't hit him did I?"

Katara rolled her eyes as she too returned to her breakfast. This did indeed promise to be an interesting day.

Throughout the first few hours of classes, Toph could hardly pay any attention to the lectures. Not that she really did anyway, but it was harder than usual. The idea that Twinkle Toes had arranged some sort of surprise was both exciting and disturbing. What could it be? Was Kuzon getting it ready at home? Was it already ready and Kuzon was just hiding it? What could it be? It was driving her crazy! Thankfully, lunch was next and she could get back to Katara and Zuko before she exploded.

Katara looked on from the lunch line as Toph sat in her seat waiting for her food. She and Zuko had insisted on getting it for her for the safety of their classmates. Toph's anticipation was getting a little out of hand. Even now she was tapping her foot rather roughly on the floor as more new kids came dangerously close to the agitated girl's back.

"What're they doing?" someone asked from behind them. He was apparently watching the same oncoming explosion as her. Katara looked at the boy in line behind her. He was rather tall, a full head taller than her. His expression was a comical mix of confusion and joy.

"It's kind of a game to them," she explained. His gray eyes turned to her.

"A game?"

"Yeah. They try and sneak up on her and scare her."

"Isn't that kinda mean?" the boy asked.

"It's more dangerous than mean."

"How so?"

"Just watch."

As the students tiptoed closer, Toph suddenly rose from her chair and turned on them. She began screaming obscenities that caught many of her aggressors off guard before she started stomping her way towards them. The students clearly started to doubt that the girl was blind as their upperclassmen had told them.

"Funny to pick on the blind kid, ain't it!" Toph screamed above the crowd as the students ran back to their tables.

"Wow," the boy said as he a Katara paid for their lunches.

"Their the lucky ones," Katara told him.

"Yeah?" Katara watched as he stared at Toph with wide, smiling eyes. "I bet I could do it."

"Your funeral," Zuko warned him. No good. He was already gone.

Katara just watched as once again one of the foolish students approached the volatile Toph. She seriously considered stopping the kid before he got hurt, but every time she had tried before Zuko always stopped her with a smile on his face.

"We can't let this happen," Katara said.

"I dunno," Zuko replied. "Looks promising."

The tall boy made his way over to Toph's table where she had begun drumming her fingers in with impatience. Katara felt her breath catch in her throat as the boy took cautious step after cautious step. If he was lucky, maybe his height would keep Toph from breaking his nose. Turning back and smiling at Katara and Zuko he took another step. No one had ever gotten this close to Toph without feeling her wrath. Just as Katara was sure Toph was going to stand up and attack like all the other times, something impossible happened.

Toph huffed while she wondered what was keeping Zuko and Katara. It was bad enough to be kept waiting for some stupid surprise, but to have to wait so long for her food at the same time was driving her crazy! Those kids a second ago provided a little bit of a distraction, but as usual her mind wandered back to Twinkle Toes and his "surprise." She really should have just gotten her food herself.

As Toph came to this conclusion something odd occurred. She felt two long, warm arms drape themselves over her shoulders and lift her up in a tight embrace from her chair. Though she could no longer "see", she was sure that everyone's eyes were now on her as she was held above the ground.

"Surprise."

She froze.

No way, she thought. No way no way no way no way!

"Twinkle Toes!"