Freedom

Freedom

Toph's father did not speak to her on the drive home. Nor did he speak with her the following day. The day became a week. Then the week became two. This was the longest the two of them had ever gone under the same roof without exchanging words. Huiliang pleaded with Toph to at least speak with her father, but her pleas went unheard. Toph simply continued her life as though nothing was different.

"I can't believe it!" she said as she paced the rooftop of the school. "It's so great! I haven't had to listen to him bark at me for two whole weeks!"

"Are you sure that's a good thing?" Katara asked as she ate her lunch.

"What do you mean? Of course it's a good thing!" Toph laughed.

"If you're in such a good mood, why haven't you been to a club meeting all week?" Zuko asked.

"Because I get enough of Dunder Head at home," Toph answered, taking a seat between Zuko and Aang. "He has the guts to pay me a visit almost everyday. And Mom likes him so much that she never turns him away!"

"He must really like you," Aang grinned. "I didn't realize you were so popular."

"Better step up then, Aang," Zuko said. Toph ignored the comment.

"If he thinks he's gonna win me over cause Mom and Dad like him, he's in for a rude awakening."

The bell rang, signaling the end of the group's lunch period. Zuko and Katara packed the remains of their lunches and began their short walks to class. Toph made to follow after them, but Aang's arm rested against the door frame blocking her path. At first she waited for him to speak, but he didn't. Then she attempted to duck under his arm. He blocked her again.

"What is it?" she finally asked.

"You can't fool me, you know."

"What are you yammerin' about now, Twinkle Toes?"

"Your dad."

"What about him."

"C'mon, Toph." Aang relaxed his arm and stepped directly in front of her, staring down into her misty eyes. "You can fool Katara and Zuko, but I know you better than that. I know that it's bothering you that you and your dad haven't talked."

Toph's shoulders stiffened. Narrowing her eyes and frowning, she pushed past Aang's frame and followed quickly after her other friends. In a fit of stubbornness, Toph called back up to Aang who still stood in the doorway.

"I don't know what your talking about!"

Aang could not get the echoing sound of Toph's hollow, empty laughter out of his head for the remainder of the afternoon. The sound of her voice nearing the breaking point as she shouted at him in the stairwell was the last piece of evidence that Aang needed. This was really bothering her. What could he do to help? It's not like he could just walk up to Lao Bei Fong and apologize on her behalf. For one, it wouldn't be genuine coming from Aang. Second, it was probably him that had gotten Mr. Bei Fong upset to begin with. No, he couldn't resolve the conflict between Toph and her father, but he could at least cheer her up somehow. The only way he could do that was if he was with her though.

Once class ended, Aang ran straight for the track. The coach had already announced that practices and meets were going to start being held indoors as of next week, but for now they were still outside. Fall was slowly giving way to Winter and the snow was expected to start falling any day now. Finally out at the track, Aang grabbed his coach's attention and pulled him off to the side.

"What's going on?" his coach asked. "You're not even dressed for practice."

"I'm sorry, coach," Aang bowed. "Something really important came up. Can I please be excused, just for today?"