My Sacrifice

My Sacrifice

The decorations of the hall that the school had rented for the prom were truly dazzling. Streamers of the palest white were strung over the hall and along its walls. The banquet table in the back was lined with trays upon trays of delicacies which tantalized taste buds with their enchanting aromas. Students danced and chatted all across the floor in their fancy clothes and carefree attitudes. Zuko sat irritably at one of the tables that lined the outer ring of the dance floor and watched them having the time of their young lives.

Zuko sat not alone, but with Aang. The two men and their dates had arrived together in Mr. Bei Fong's limousine and had garnered much attention when Mr. Bei Fong himself had stepped out of the driver's door to hold theirs open for them. He and Toph were currently making rounds around the hall speaking with the deans that were present for some reason or other. The truth was, Zuko did not really care. All he cared about was Katara.

Katara was currently over by the banquet table with a few of her friends talking about something that Zuko could not hear. He watched her face light up as she began to laugh. She was so beautiful that night. Her hair laying loose down her back and around her shoulders; the way her eyes danced in the dim, sparkling light of the hall; the way she smiled when she turned and caught him staring. For what seemed like the hundredth time that night, Zuko turned away from her and tried to hide the blush on his face, but his eyes always returned.

She was wrapped in a blue gown that flowed majestically with every move that she made. Much brighter and more welcoming than his black suit and deep crimson undershirt. He wanted to walk right up to her and take her in his arms, but they had made an agreement. Rather than allow Jet the satisfaction of cutting in on the two of them, they would simply wait until the King and Queen's dance was over before their night would begin.

It bothered him to no end that she would be dancing with someone else. He was never troubled by the number of looks that she received from her many admirers. That did not bother him even now while she unintentionally commanded the attention of nearly every man in the room. He supposed that it never bothered him because he often caught himself staring at her in the same manner. Then there was the fact that he knew he got his fair share of admiring eyes, and he would have felt guilty if he had ever held it against her.

It was not until the lights dimmed further and a spotlight hit the center of the floor that Zuko pulled his eyes away from her. It was right about this time that he realized that Toph had returned and she and Aang were sitting with him rather than dancing. Aang's suggestion no doubt. He knew the first year would not want to leave Zuko alone while Katara danced with Jet.

Katara was not looking forward to this. As a matter of fact, she had been dreading it all evening. Dean Cheng stood in the middle of the spotlight with a microphone and addressed the students.

"I hope you're all having fun tonight," he smiled. This was greeted by cheers and applause from the students. "Good, good! It is now time for our Prom King and Queen to come forward and share their dance. Jet, Katara, the floor is yours."

Letting out a hidden sigh of frustration, Katara stepped out onto the floor to find Jet already waiting for her. He was dressed in a light blue suit that matched her dress almost perfectly. Almost only because of who was wearing it. Katara had been asked days before if she had a particular song she would want to dance to, but she had told them to go ask Jet. Only now was she beginning to wonder what he had chosen. As a soft piano introduction began, Jet bowed courteously to her and she curtsied in reply. He held his hand out for hers and just as she was about to take it, the first line of the song began.

I'll be your dream, I'll be your wish, I'll be your fantasy

I'll be your hope, I'll be your love, be everything that you need