The Price of Victory

Toph stood in the center of the mat grinning triumphantly as her arm was raised in victory. The cheers of the crowd only fueled her confidence and pride. The thrilling rush of victory paired with the events at The Jasmine Dragon had her floating in a sea of adrenaline. The finals were next and she was undefeated so far. When she left the mat and approached the others, Qiang started his preparation speech.

"Good job, Toph," he began. "Okay, guys, we don't get any rest time before the finals so here's what we're gonna do: Start strong, end strong. Rou, Toph, you guys are the only ones on the team that haven't been beaten, so you're our beginning and end."

"I get to start," Toph declared.

"No, you get to rest," Qiang countered. "You get fifth seat."

"No way! We're tied up for the points lead in the tournament with these guys! If three of you guys win, then the tourney's over and I don't get to kick more butt!"

"I'm captain, and I have to decide what's best for the team," Qiang said calmly. "If two of us lose, then I know I can count on you to pull our butts out of the fire. Since I have the worse win/loss record out of all of us in this tournament, I'm going to be second seat. Aang, you'll be fourth. I don't think that Zuko's going to lose his match, but if that does happen it means you'll have to fight."

Qiang looked over at Aang. Next to Toph and Rou, he had the best record on the team, but Qiang did not want to rely on him too much. He was grateful that Aang was willing to help, but he was not actually a part of the club. Qiang would have felt guilty for relying on outside help that much.

"Everybody be careful out there," he continued. "The finals aren't just gonna be hard because we're facing the second best team. These guys have been observing and studying us all day. They're gonna know us inside and out, just like we've been doing to them. It's gonna be hard to find your openings."

"Are you done?" Toph asked. "You worry way too much. Between all of us, those bums ain't got a chance!"

Zuko and Aang voiced their eager agreement and Qiang just smiled. Count on Toph to know just what to say to get people motivated for a fight. He patted his brother's shoulder and sent him out onto the mat to face the first opponent in the final match of the competition.

"Go, Rou!" Ty Lee called from the stands behind the team. "Aw, he's so cute when he blushes!"

"You should stop teasing him, Ty Lee," Katara could be heard saying.

Toph placed both feet firmly on the ground. She had watched Rou in action six times already today, but she still had no idea what he was doing when he fought. She was not going to miss whatever it was he was doing this time. Just like all the other times, Rou was standing at ease facing his opponent. The first time she felt him doing that she was compelled to ask Qiang what he was doing leaving himself wide open like that. Qiang simply answered "he stands like that because he never has to defend." So far he was right, but Toph could not see why.

When the match started, it went just as quickly as all of the quiet twin's others. He dodged each oncoming attack as though his foe was moving in slow motion. Like he could see the attacks coming before his opponent even began them. After only a few moments into the dance, Toph felt Rou slip behind his enemy. His palm barely grazed the small of his opponent's back, but instantly Toph felt the young man's legs giving way beneath him. Once his knees began to shake, Rou struck the center of his back with an open palm, knocking him to the ground. Just like all of Rou's other opponents that day, this one could not get back up. After the officials checked up on the opposing fighter, they deemed him unfit to continue. For the seventh time, Rou achieved victory with ease before the end of the first minute.