Christmas

A/N: This is a big one :)

Aang stood outside the Bei Fong's door with his nerves taunting him. In his slightly trembling hand he held a small rectangular box. This had seemed like such a great idea when he first thought of it, but now he was not so sure. What if she didn't like it?

Too late for doubts now, he thought. With a deep breath, he stood as tall as he could and knocked on the door.

"Aang!" Kuzon greeted with a smile. He was wearing a deep blue sweater with a large white snowman printed on the front. "Good morning! Merry Christmas!"

"Am I early?" Aang asked as he stepped inside. Kuzon aided him in removing his scarf and coat.

"Not at all," he answered. "As a matter of fact, the only one not present is Miss Toph. She's still asleep!"

"Nice snowman," Aang said.

"Thank you," Kuzon replied. "My late wife gave it to me our first Christmas together. I've worn it every year since. Yours isn't so bad itself."

Aang wore a light green turtle neck sweater with a deep green Christmas tree pattern on it. On every other branch of the tree was an actual bell, sewn straight into the fabric that jingled with every step.

"Not too much?" Aang asked as he hopped in place and listened to the bells with a grin.

"Very festive," Kuzon told him.

As Aang moved towards the Christmas themed living room he could make out the sound of music being played. Not only that, but people were singing as well. The party was almost in full swing already. The faces that greeted him were merry and welcoming and he waved and smiled in return, even though he did not recognize a few of them. The twinkling lights of the tree and room danced majestically as Aang approached the corner of the room the tree stood in. Lao Bei Fong and Huiliang Bei Fong sat waiting for him in their chairs and he bowed courteously, never letting go of his tiny present.

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Bei Fong, Mrs. Bei Fong. Thank you for welcoming me into your home today."

"It's wonderful to have you here," Mrs. Bei Fong replied with a slight bow of her head. Mr. Bei Fong did not respond. "It's wonderful to have Aang here, isn't it, dear?"

"Yes," Mr. Bei Fong finally said with a little less enthusiasm than his wife. "Wonderful to have you here."

"Enough of these formalities," Huiliang said as she stood up. "Have some fun! Mingle!"

Aang was not sure if Mrs. Bei Fong was talking to him or her husband, but he took her advice. He smiled with another short bow before loosing himself in the small crowd. Katara spotted him quickly and dragged him over to introduce him to her father. Hakoda smiled and gripped Aang's hand tightly as he wished him "Merry Christmas."

"You too," Aang said. "Congrats on your soon to be daughter-in-law."

"Thanks," Hakoda laughed. "I'm just glad Sokka was able to find someone so level headed. Men like us need someone who can manage us!"

"Don't I know it," Katara chimed in with a giggle. "You should see the two of them at home sometimes!"

"Somehow that doesn't surprise me," Lao laughed as he approached.

"You're probably not any better than me, Lao," Hakoda grinned. "You just have people who clean up after you!"

"Could you people be just a little louder please?" Toph's voice grumbled from the hallway door. "I can still hear myself think!"

Aang turned to give her a smile and "Merry Christmas", but when his eyes found her his mouth and brain ceased to function. There she stood in the doorway with a major case of bed head, wearing his jersey and, from what he could tell, nothing else. His heart jumped and palpitated as though it were about to burst, which was more uncomfortable than usual because he was almost positive it had relocated to his throat.