One After Another

One After Another

It was a slow and disappointing start to the day. No one even seemed to realize what occasion it was. Toph was most disappointed by the fact that her parents had already left by the time she had gotten up. They had not even woken her to say those two special words that morning. Kuzon did not seem to be paying attention to the date either. She could not blame Gyatso, because he probably did not even know to begin with. The only one acting like something special was going on was Aang.

Aang had been acting funny all morning. He was agitated, like he was anxious about something. Of course Toph's first thought was that he was worried about his meeting with the deans in the next week. Evidence said otherwise. When she asked him how he was holding up with the upcoming meeting, he seemed confused. It was like he had not even been thinking about it at all. Something else was up, and it was making Toph curious. He would not be stupid enough to be keeping something from her again, would he?

Aang's strange behavior continued even after Kuzon dropped the two of them off at school. He did not even go to the cafeteria with her. He immediately hurried off towards their literature classroom.

"Where are you going?" Toph asked.

"I gotta talk to the teacher about something," he replied. "Say hi to Zuko and Katara for me!"

Shaking her head and muttering an annoyed string of curses under her breath, Toph entered the cafeteria. Today was supposed to be a good day. It was supposed to be special. How could he act so aloof today of all days?

"Morning, Toph," Katara greeted. "What's wrong? Where's Aang?"

"Twinkle Toes is too busy for breakfast today," she grumped in response.

"Too busy doing what?" Zuko asked.

"I don't know," she growled. "And I don't think I really care either."

"He didn't forget," Katara blurted out.

"What?" Toph turned to let Katara see her face. Katara had a excruciatingly difficult time keeping things from people, especially if she had to look them in the face. "What do you know?"

"I don't know anything," Katara answered, somewhat frazzled. "I just don't think he would have forgotten."

"What's he planning, Hot Head?"

"Even if I did know, why would I tell you?" he asked. "It's more fun to watch the mighty Toph Bei Fong squirm."

Toph's eyes narrowed dangerously. In the back of her mind she was smiling with anticipation, but she could not let them know that. Better to make sure they knew how much trouble they were in for keeping secrets.

"You're both gonna pay for this," she said. Hard as she tried, she could not stop the grin.

Walking alone to first period was surprisingly lonely. She had gotten used to having Aang around her, greeting everyone he past and laughing as they climbed the stairs each morning. What was it going to be like if those boobs upstairs pulled his scholarship? With Katara and Zuko moving on to new stages in their lives, she would have to do this alone every morning. Toph could almost hear her spirits crash to the floor.

Don't be such a wimp! she shouted in her mind. Nothing's even been decided yet! You're getting all depressed and gloomy and stupid over nothing.

By the time she stopped yelling at herself, Toph was standing in front of the door to her literature class. The funny thing was it was closed. That was weird, because the teacher never closed the door. She pulled it open and fished around with her foot until she managed to stuff the doorstop underneath the heavy wooden thing.