The Next Step Forward

Katara stood trembling outside the entrance to the auditorium with her speech in hand clad in a long black gown. The tassel of her cap tickled the left side of her face as she stared at the doors. How was she going to get up in front of all of those people? She never had trouble giving speeches in class, but this was the whole graduating class and their families! All of the deans were going to be present, her father and brother, all of her friends, and the whole rest of the auditorium was going to be filled with strangers that she had never even met! Her hands began to quake more furiously at the thought.

"Are you ready, sis?" Sokka asked, with Suki on his arm. She replied with a quiet squeak that he interpreted as a no. "Look, you're gonna be fine. Just try to relax. Worse comes to worse, you'll just embarrass yourself in front of the whole school."

"Thanks, Sokka," she said. "That's just what I needed."

"You'll do fine," her father reassured her. "Just go in there and know that we're here with you."

Katara walked into the auditorium, straight through the double doors and towards the stage. The faculty members were still getting things arranged, so she took the time to look out over the room. Nearly all of the seats were empty for now, but soon they would be full. The anxiety was getting to her. She knew that Sokka had meant well, and her father's words did help a little, but Katara was still beyond nervous.

Everything began to blur, and her breath became short. She wanted to run into the bathroom and just scream at the top of her lungs. This was crazy! What was she thinking? She couldn't give a speech in front of the entire graduating class! She should have stepped down and let the next person in line be valedictorian. She needed to get back outside. She needed to get away.

"Is everything alright, Katara?"

She turned and inhaled deeply, causing her to become dizzy. A strong hand grasped her shoulder and held her steady. The piercing eyes of Headmaster Boqin were watching her.

"I don't think I can do this," she said.

"Calm down, my dear," the old man soothed. "I have every confidence in you. I have heard some of your other speeches and they were marvelous. Full of strength. Your words have inspired a lot of students here, Katara."

"Only in small classrooms," Katara mumbled. "I can't stand up in front of all of these people."

Headmaster placed his hand on top of Katara's head and stroked her hair. It reminded her of how her Gran Gran used to calm her back when she was young.

"Katara, your strength comes from your heart," he said. "Trust in it, and you will be fine."

Headmaster Boqin made it sound so easy. So much so that she almost believed that it would be. Staring out over the open auditorium once more, she decided that she could no longer stand to be there on stage. She left the building as quickly as possible and made her way across the street to the campus theater, where the graduating class was gathered to receive their ceremony instructions.

Glancing over the sea of black caps inside, Katara found a bare head near the back that she knew would be Zuko's. He was leaning up against the wall with his arms folded and his head nodding. She chuckled lightly to herself at the image. Only Zuko would be able to fall asleep standing up just before his own graduation. She rubbed his arm gently and he opened his eyes.

"Hey," he smiled through a yawn.

"Hey yourself," she grinned. "Why aren't you dressed?"

Zuko looked himself over. His t-shirt and jeans were still right where he left them, so he was fairly certain he was dressed.