Father to Father

Father to Father

The rain pitter patted down lightly upon the roof of the Bei Fong estate. Lao stood at the window of the garden staring out at his daughter and her boyfriend as they dipped their feet from the tiny bridge into the little creek. She looked so happy out there in the rain with him. Ever since that boy had come into her life she had become stronger.

Perhaps not, he thought to himself. She was always strong, Lao. You just never noticed it.

He could not deny, however, that Aang had given her the courage to say so. The young man had been such a positive influence on Toph, even if Lao had refused to acknowledge him at first. It struck him as odd how he could have been so against Aang when he was now so fond of him. Not that he would ever admit that. Lao saw it as his duty as a father to give Aang a difficult time. He also considered it to be one of the perks of being a father.

Staring out at them, Lao felt so comfortable with what he saw in store for Toph. She would be with someone who knew how to take care of his baby girl and allow her the freedom she so desired at the same time. He had to admit he was a tad bit jealous that this young man understood her so much better than he himself did, but he was starting to understand more each day. Sadly, that might not be the case soon. Lao feared more than anything that this next year would cause Toph to close herself off again. With all of her friends, save Ty Lee, moving beyond her reach, she may put that wall back in place. After finally coming out of that secluded place, it would kill Lao to see her go back.

As Lao stared out into the gray, yet pleasant rainy garden at his smiling daughter, Gyatso came into the room.

"Ah, Lao," he greeted with a polite bow. "I was wondering if by chance you have seen Aang this morning."

"He's out in the garden, actually," Lao answered without looking away from the children.

By the time Gyatso had joined Lao at the window, Aang and Toph had moved under the large tree by the creek. Aang was sitting with his back to the trunk with his arms wrapped around Toph who was leaning into him serenely. Gyatso moved to go out into the garden, but Lao stopped him.

"Let them rest," he said.

"I am sorry, but I must speak with Aang," Gyatso replied. "We have things to discuss."

"Can't it wait?"

"I am afraid not. He has been avoiding me far too long about this subject and it is about time we handled the situation."

Lao knew that it would be best not to drag this out. It would make the transition easier for everyone if he simply stepped aside and allowed Gyatso to pull Aang away from his daughter for a few minutes. The problem was that they just looked so content out there that he could not bare to see them parted.

"Is it really necessary for Aang to leave?" he blurted out. Gyatso turned to him with an unreadable expression in his storm gray eyes. "Gyatso, if it is an issue of money, I am more than willing to pay his tuition so that he can stay."

"That is a most generous offer, Lao, but such generosity should be given to those in need of it, not to those who want it."

"Gyatso, please just-"

"I do not wish to hear anymore of this," Gyatso said sternly. "You have been most gracious to us already, and I thank you for that, but such an offer is too much."

Before Lao could try to persuade Gyatso, Kuzon entered the room with Ty Lee in toe. She was bouncing around merrily looking around the house for Toph.

"Where's my Tophy?" she asked.

"She's out in the garden," Lao smiled.

Ty Lee bounded out the door leaving her father to join Lao and Gyatso. Having worked for the Bei Fongs for so long, Kuzon recognized Lao's tension signs as though he were reading a book. He did not know what the trouble was, but considering he was with Gyatso, he knew that it must have had something to do with their children. He smiled gently and clapped both men on the shoulder.