Lecturing

Ryker

Carbry checked his phone for the millionth time in the past several minutes, and Ryker rolled his eyes, though his irritation wasn't genuine. He could honestly understand why the man was nearly neurotic about being out here and not at home. It had not been very long since she'd been gone. Ryker would be the same way, though that thought caused an all too familiar ache in his chest when it came.

He missed Daryl. Constantly. He only saw the man when he was sleeping or when they had stolen moments together between their schedules.

Scowling, he slid Carbry his glass and leaned back into his seat. "Aren't you the one who's always lecturing me about smothering and space? And here you are texting her again."

Carbry turned to give Ryker an incredulous look before sighing and sliding the phone back into his pocket. "Yeah."

But his boss was far too perceptive, frowning after Ryker didn't respond. Ryker just turned to look at the main stage where a marginally attractive dancer had dressed up as a cop and appeared to be taking his time teasing a group of female shifters. Ryker paused, raising a brow at the sight. Ok, so the dancer was attractive...if you weren't used to living with Daryl.

"Where's Daryl tonight?" Carbry asked, as if reading the direction of Ryker's mind.

"I dunno. Wherever he is when I'm busy. With Sam? At the Centre?" Ryker scowled and shrugged, though his hand went down to his pocket, resting over his phone in the fabric.

Carbry reached out and grabbed his shoulder before giving it a squeeze. "Are you guys alright?"

Ryker shrugged again and looked back to his boss. "Yes? I mean, we don't fight anymore. If only because we barely see one another."

"Why?" Though judging by the man's expression, he was probably calculating why in his head even as Ryker turned back to look at the stage, raising his brow once more as the stripper began to approach them.

"Because it hasn't been a priority. Because I got distracted and he found ways to occupy his time. Because we were both upset but didn't have a right to be, so we carried on and now we realized we went in two different directions." Ryker took a mouthful of his whiskey and sat back in his seat as the dancer, clad now in only skin tight pants, a fake cop hat and an approximation of a gun belt, began dancing for the two of them.

The shifter probably thought Ryker was looking at him because he was interested, and Ryker played along. Because it was easier than thinking about the mess that he and Daryl were in. So he leaned forward and slid a bill into the man's belt, not fighting it when his arm was grabbed and he was pulled up on stage.

Ryker laughed as he found himself handcuffed to the pole and essentially became the pole as the dancer began grinding against him. The cuffs were cheap, and a human could snap them if they tried. But Ryker simply gripped the metal between his hands and leaned back, watching as the man ran his hands over his chest and started accepting money from other patrons then slipping it into Ryker's jeans.

"Does he like to watch this?" the dancer growled into his ear from behind, causing Ryker to turn to look at Carbry.

"We're not together..." Ryker chuckled, then frowned when he realized that Carbry wasn't looking at him but at something behind him.

His boss didn't look concerned, though, more mildly amused than anything, and Ryker fought the urge to end the dance abruptly so he could turn around and see what was happening. But he didn't end it, trusting that if whatever was behind him was something horrible, Alesky would give him some sort of warning. So he found his shirt untucked, half undone, and hair thoroughly messed up by the time the set was over and he was released before pulling the money out of his pants and handing it to the dancer.

"I think you'll enjoy the next act better." Carbry chuckled and took a slow drink of his whiskey as Ryker stumbled back into his seat. The alcohol they had been drinking was finally hitting him.

"He was doing it for you." Ryker smirked as he spoke of the dancer who'd just performed. Still smirking, Ryke finished his glass before leaning back against the booth and staring at the ceiling as he heard his boss pouring him another drink.

"Hey asshole, move over."

Ryker blinked and lifted his head, his eyes landing on Meriwa who was standing there at their booth and nodding to the spot between him and Carbry.

"Ah..." Ryker shrugged and pulled himself back up, frowning at that dark grin she gave him when she passed. "Hey Meri. Boys night done?"

"Not at all." She slid into the seat beside Carbry, grabbing the glass her mate poured for her even as Alesky slid his arm around her shoulders and held her close. Ryke's hand went to his phone and he turned to glance at the door, wondering if Daryl would even be home as he then moved to stand.

Meri spoke again. "Sit down, Ryke. The night isn't over."

He scowled and sat, offering her a glare. "You really take this coming back from the dead and being whatever the fuck you are to heart, don't you?"

She just smirked at him, her eyes flickering to the stage as the music came on again. Still annoyed, Ryker grabbed his glass, and took another mouthful of expensive whiskey as he turned his eyes to follow her gaze, choking on his drink when he saw what was up there.