Lazy River

Meriwa

Meri huffed as she floated over to find Ryke glaring at someone yet again. He'd been scaring people all day, and she had no idea why. Things weren't as much fun with him being so unhappy. Heaving another sigh, she kicked her legs to propel herself to where Ryke was floating near her in the lazy river.

A human who had been glancing in their direction for quite some time turned his attention quickly away, paddling swiftly enough that soon she and Ryker were left practically alone in their own portion of the river. Ryke smirked almost triumphantly as Meri glared at her lover. When his eyes met hers, he offered her a grin that was genuine enough, happy enough, that her heart melted.

But he was still being kind of a dick, and she needed to figure out why.

When she didn't smile back at him, he reached out and grabbed the handle of her float so they wouldn't drift apart. "What's up, Princess?"

Mer tried to frown at him, but she couldn't make it 100 percent genuine. "How come you keep glaring at everyone? Aren't you having fun?"

Ryke gave her an odd look as he shrugged. "I'm not glaring."

She snorted and rolled her eyes before reaching out and grabbing his free hand. He watched as she traced designs idly in his flesh before responding. "You're totally a liar. You've been scaring people all day. Howcome?"

He laughed softly and rolled his own eyes before surprising her and grabbing her hand then lacing his fingers with hers. "If I'm glaring, it's only because people are looking at you like you're a piece of meat, and I don't think it's right that they're having impure thoughts about one of my lovers."

Mer laughed softly at that and gently pulled her hand from his grasp before shifting her body so that she faced forward in the float. She took in the foliage and stone features lining the river, which had been designed to look kind of like a rainforest, before she spoke quietly. "Bullshit. They stare at Daryl and Car, not me. Besides, what gives you the right to be growly if people happen to maybe be looking at my body?"

Because she wasn't looking at him, she couldn't see Ryke's expression, but she heard annoyed confusion in his reply. "You're drop-dead sexy, zombie. And I have a right to be growly cause you're the princess, and you deserve to have a good time without people ogling you."

"How do you know I don't want them to ogle me?" As she asked the question, she kicked her feet, grinning faintly when she saw her freshly painted pink toenails flashing on the surface of the water.

"Cause I know you, and I know the difference between your 'I want to drive the world crazy with desire' mood and your 'leave me alone to have fun' mood."

She laughed again before leaning her head back and letting her hair splay out in the water. From her perspective, Ryke was upside down and glaring at her with an intensity that she used to find frightening. Now, she just knew this was his annoyed face.

She wanted to boop his nose, but she couldn't reach it, so she just grinned as she replied. "You barely know how I like my eggs in the morning, silly. You totally don't know what I like and don't like." Meriwa ended up feeling bad as soon as the words had left her mouth because a look of hurt flashed across Ryke's features. Immediately, she backpedaled and tried to explain what she'd meant to say to the man. "I didn't mean it like that, Ryke. Of course you know what I like...I just...I just meant that you're better at reading Daryl and Carbry because...well...because you don't care about me as much as you do them. You obviously care for me, but you don't need me and-"

With a glare, he released her float, and Meri was forced to turn around in the device and paddle against the current to get back to him. By the time she reached him, Ryke had allowed himself to float around in a half-circle so that his back was now to her. Frowning, she managed to make it to his side where she wrapped her arms around his waist and positioned her float so that she could rest her head on his thigh.