Friendships Pt. 3

Carbry

When the door rang, Carbry opened it to find Ryker standing there, looking a little worried and somewhat apologetic. Smiling warmly, he gestured for the man to come inside and closed the door behind him. "They're in the living room." Car explained.

When they walked in to see the two best friends passed out next to each other, Ryker said. "Ah, I'm sorry, Alesky."

Car scoffed. "Why is everyone apologizing for everything? Meri had a wonderful time."

Rubbing his head in a gesture of discomfort Car had become familiar with over the past year, his friend spoke. "Well, he can be a handful when he's drunk."

Car chuckled at Ryker's words. "Oh, no one is more of a handful than drunk Meri. I assure you."

His words seemed to assuage the younger man's worry just a bit. Sighing, Ryker walked over to his mate, squatting down and petting the man's wolf ears. In response, the cowboy purred before opening his eyes.

Ryker's gaze softened, "Hey, cowboy. Time to head home. Bar's closing."

Daryl snorted and allowed Ryker to sling his arm around his shoulder and lift him off the couch. The movement awoke Meri who yawned. Her eyes were unfocused as if she still didn't know what was going on.

When she saw Ryker, she said. "Oh, asshole's here."

Ryker growled softly in response but Carbry saw the faint grin that crossed his features only to die away quickly.

"You corrupted my cowboy, zombie lady." As Ryker spoke, he guided Daryl towards the door where he began helping the man put on his boots.

"Oh, no!" Meri exclaimed, rising from the couch and stumbling to the entryway. "D. He's taking you away. We didn't finish the movie."

"Sleepover means I sleep over." Daryl mumbled in complaint, leading Ryker to pause for a fraction of a second.

Ryker responded carefully. "You guys watch, like, the same five movies over and over again. You'll be fine."

There was regret in the man's voice, though, almost as if he didn't want to be taking Daryl home. And the hesitation made Carbry acutely aware that Ryker and Daryl's relationship was still on eggshells. It broke his heart to see the love in Ryker's expression mix with cautious resignation.

"No." Meri hugged Daryl then, making the cowboy laugh as he wrapped his arms around her and hugged back. The two of them were unsteady, and Ryker seemed torn between supporting both of them and pulling the drunk friends apart.

Ryker sighed, deciding on doing neither and instead slipping the cowboy's hat on Daryl's head. As if struck by an epiphany, Meri snatched the hat off of Daryl's head and tried to flee, stumbling until Carbry caught her.

"He can't leave without his hat." Meri whispered loudly, making Daryl laugh while Ryker supported him.

Carbry kissed the tip of her nose while gently taking the hat from her. "But the cowboy is going home, love. With or without his hat. You wouldn't want Daryl to leave without his hat, would you?"

She pouted for a moment before saying. "They could just stay. Cowboy and asshole sleepover with us."

Everyone froze at her words as if none of them knew how to respond to the concept. When Ryker cleared his throat, the spell broke and Carbry chuckled at his mate. "They'll visit another day."

Still smiling, Carbry supported Meri and handed Ryker the cowboy's hat, which he placed on Daryl's head to cover the man's wolf ears.

"Umm, thanks Alesky." Ryker said haltingly, obviously uncomfortable with the situation they were all in.

"Anytime, Ryker." Car said easily. "You're both always welcome here. We're friends after all."

Ryker looked away, expression becoming adorably uncertain until Daryl spoke, nuzzling Ryker and purring. "Let's go home, Ryke. I miss you." Nodding, Ryker said his goodbyes and left, the door locking automatically behind him.

Sighing dramatically, Meri wrapped Carbry in a hug. "I didn't want them to leave."

"Neither did I, love." Car kissed the top of her head.

She yawned then said. "We gotta help them fix their relationship thing. They're both so sad lately."

His Meri, for all her bravado and bluster, was the kindest and sweetest person he'd ever known, and he idly rubbed her back as he said. "You're right. But first, you need to sleep this off. Then, I'll scheme with you."

"Okay," she sighed, leading Carby to sweep her into his arms and carry his drunk mate to their bed.

The house was far quieter with Daryl and Ryker gone.