Lessons

Carbry 

Carbry heard Ryker's footsteps before the man had even passed by Eliza's desk in the reception area leading to Knight Corp's suite of executive offices. He fought the urge to scowl as he closed a prospectus for the new branch in California and planned what he was going to say.

They'd been getting together for several months now, and Car had liked to think of Ryker and Daryl as family. Yet, one week had passed. Ryke had disappeared without so much as a goodbye to any of them a week ago, and his actions had worried them all desperately. Though here the man was now, strutting his way to Carbry's office after having not even called them while he was away.

Daryl had said that this was normal, that Ryke dropping off the face of the earth for missions happened with frequency because the man didn't understand the impact his actions had on those he loved. However, just because it was normal for Ryker, that didn't make it right.

It worried Carbry. Daryl was upset, and, most importantly, Meri had teared up when she'd confided in the cowboy that she was worried Ryke didn't love all of them as much as they loved him.

Therefore, when Ryker rapped on his office door, Carbry glared as he said, "Come in."

The door opened to reveal one of the few people Carbry adored in this world, and Ryke, a little haggard but no worse for wear, offered him a bright grin that fell when he realized Carbry wasn't smiling.

"What's wrong?" He asked with worry coloring his voice.

"Close the door." Car ordered as he stood, drawing himself to his full height. With a curious glance, Ryke complied, and Carbry stalked over to him.

Once the door was closed and they were safely cut off from the rest of the office, Carbry finally spoke. "You left us."

The curiosity drained from his expression, and Ryker, realizing where the conversation was going, matched Carbry's glare. "Temporarily. I was always going to come back. I just had to work."

Carbry's scowl deepened at the man's tone. "Tim wouldn't tell me where you went."

"I asked him not to tell you. I didn't want to worry you guys."

"And you think we weren't fucking worried?" He couldn't keep the sharpness from his voice, and Ryker flinched.

When faced with Car's disappointment, though, Ryke's own scowl grew more pronounced. "You didn't need to know."

"Didn't need to know..." Car trailed off as he echoed the man, forcing his voice to remain icy and steady all while he was fighting to rein in his ire over the fact that the man just didn't understand the reason they were upset.

With a disgusted look, Ryker said, "Look, Carbry. Maybe I shouldn't have stopped by before heading to the apartment."

"The apartment. You mean my apartment where you and Daryl have happily been living with us for weeks."

"What's your point?"

"We're family!" Car shouted, finally losing his temper with the man. "That's my point. And I love you and would never stop you from doing what you want, but you at least owe us the courtesy of keeping us somewhat in the loop."

The younger man bristled. "I love you too, but I don't owe you anything."

"Oh, really? So if Meri decided to rejoin the security team and began going on near-suicidal missions, she shouldn't at least give us some idea of when we could expect her to be back?"

Ryker stubbornly crossed his arms over his chest, jutting out his chin in an adorable gesture of obstinacy that reminded Carbry so much of Meri. "That's different. She shouldn't be doing missions without us knowing."