Chapter 13

"Thanks again for watching over Jade for me," I tell Charlotte as I pick up Justin who immediately latches onto me. I met Charlotte through Jason and Jax last year and it wasn't just because I was working on Victoria's case. Through Jason, it was because she's his best friend and as for Jax, she's the mother of his kids and the person that also took custody of his younger brother when he couldn't.

"Don't worry about it, I heard most of what happened from Victoria and Haruto so there's nothing to worry about. Plus she was a former student of mine, she and Wren are in Camryn's class this year so she's welcome to stay here," Charlotte says with a wave of the hand. "I just can't believe this happened to Julia, I was shocked when I heard what happened."

"It was bad, really bad. That guy went in with the intent to kill and he almost succeeded if it wasn't for us bringing Jade back home at that time," I tell her, my mind flashing back to the past weekend. "The social worker that's looking over this case was surprised we knew each other," I tell her as Justin starts to pull onto my hair.

"Yeah, well, let's just say there was a day I threatened him when he wanted to revoke the custody I had over Wren and I was so tempted to kick his ass that day," she chuckles.

"Somehow I believe you'd do that," I laugh as my phone beeps from my pocket. "And that's my cue to leave," I tell her as I place Justin back on the floor.

"I'm guessing it's a busy night for you all?" she asks as she picks up her son and he snuggles into her arms, how cute.

"Yeah, my team has got a long night ahead but I'll try to be back here by ten at the latest. I'm not a real parent but I don't want to make some shitty mistakes like letting her stay up so late on a school night," I tell her as we walk back to the front door.

"Rule number one in parenting is you will never get it perfect. But it's fine, you have me, Victoria, Camryn, Jason and Nash so we'll all help," she says reassuringly.

"Yeah, I owe you all big time," I answer wryly as I tie back my boots. Footsteps come up from the basement and I hear Jade's voice calling my name.

"Are you going to work now?" she asks as I lace my other boot.

"Yeah, so you'll be staying with Charlotte for a while. I was surprised to learn that she used to be your teacher," I tell her as I stand back up.

"Ms. Dawson is my favourite teacher," she tells me and I raise my brow as I laugh.

"What about Ms. Valencia?" I ask and she lets out a gasp.

"Ms. Valencia is my favourite too, she's really funny and her class is fun," she says enthusiastically. 

"I'm glad to hear that," I chuckle as my phone beeps again. "I really have to go now but Nash or I will be back later to come get you okay?"

"Alright, I'm going to go and finish my homework with Wren," she tells me before bounding back upstairs.

"Thanks again Charlotte," I tell her as I open the front door stepping out into the late evening frosty air.

"Don't worry about it, just stay safe, all of you," she says in a worried tone.

"You got it," I tell her as I walk to my car and drive out of the driveway away from the house. I'm only just leaving the neighbourhood when my phone starts ringing, the annoying cellphone tone blasting in the car.

"I'm coming to the precinct right now, you don't need to keep calling me," is the first thing that spills from my mouth as I roll my eyes in exasperation.

"That was Jason messaging you beautiful and I haven't texted you once since you left to go drop off Jade at Jax's place," Nash's smooth voice comes through the speaker.