Chapter 11

"You excited to start school again Jade?" I ask her as I drive her to the elementary school. Conveniently it's the same school Victoria and Charlotte work at so I'll at least be seeing some familiar faces. 

"Yeah, I'm so excited about my math class," she says, her eyes lighting up at the mention of the subject. I'm the complete opposite of her. If there was a class I enjoyed when I was a kid and teenager it'd be history or the sciences. "Are we visiting my mom after school?" 

"We are, either Nash or myself will pick you up at the end of the day and we'll go to see your mom," I tell her as I turn my car and park in front of the school. "Jade, do you know Ms. Dawson or Ms. Marshall?" I ask her.

"I do, Ms. Dawson teaches grade two and Ms. Marshall is the school nurse," she answers. 

"Well both teachers are my friends and if you need anything, you can trust them to help, just like your own teacher," I say turning around in my seat to face her.

"Okay, my teacher is super nice. Oh, she's right there," she says pointing out the window at a woman exiting her car. I narrow my eyes for a moment before chuckling. Wow what a small fucking world. I've met her a couple of times through Victoria but I didn't know that she was Jade's teacher. I open my door and step out of the car as I wave to the woman.

"Camryn!" I call out to her. Her head snaps up and she looks up in surprise when she sees me.

"Natalia? What are you doing here?" she asks in confusion as she walks up to my car. 

"Dropping off my new charge to school," I tell her as Jade steps out. Her eyes widen when she sees and she looks back at me for confirmation as I nod my head. 

"I'll talk to her at lunch and see how she's doing, I'm sure it was a shock for her to see her mom like that. I got an email from the principal over what happened during the weekend," she tells me in a sombre voice.

"Yeah, me and Nash were the ones that found her mom in their apartment but she was with me outside the apartment when she heard her mom being attacked," I reply as Jade walks up to us.

"That's horrible, I'll make sure that while she's here she can forget about what happened for a bit and be a kid," she tells me before plastering a smile on her face for Jade. "Jade, it's good to see you again."

"You too Ms. Valencia, I finished all my homework from the break," Jade says in a proud voice.

"I'd be shocked if you didn't, you're always on time for everything and I love that. We should head inside before the bell rings," Camryn tells her. "I'll probably see you later," she says turning to face me.

"Either me or Nash will be coming to pick her up," I tell her and her smile curls into a smirk.

"So Nash has custody too? Are you two parenting together? And have you guys finally gotten your acts together because I've seen the way you two look at one another," she teases with laughter and I roll my eyes as I step back into my car. From what Victoria and Charlotte told me, Camryn she's still working on her personality since it was shitty before but I don't mind the ribbing.

"I'll see you Camryn," I tell her as her laughter gets louder. "Jade, I'll see you after school but if you need anything you know my phone number and Nash's so use the school phone to call us." She nods her head and waves to me as I drive away from them. I hope Camryn can distract her during the day. She didn't sleep properly Saturday night or last night, the worry of her mom plaguing her thoughts. The loud ringtone from my phone fills up in my car and I glance over at it, my thumb swiping on the screen when I see Nash's name on the screen.

"What do you need? I'll be at the precinct in fifteen minutes," I tell him as I slow down at a traffic light.

"We're moving in to arrest Riccardo, Jason put out a warrant for him and Leo yesterday evening plus late last night and it was approved just now," he tells me. "We're going to get Ricardo and Jason assigned two others to get Leo."