Chapter 22.

I arrived at the mansion, Jeffery greeting me of course. I got out of my car as he took the bags.

"Hello Miss Zoey."

"Great to see you Jeffery!" I gave him a hug almost knocking him down.

"Your grandmother is in the living room if you wish to see her."

"You know I don't but I guess I have to."

"That's the spirit!" I laughed

I walked inside and went to the living room, my grandma was sitting on a chair drinking tea and reading a newspaper. She's too classy for me.

"Hey grandma!" I said

"Oh hello Zoey." She said without evening looking at me.

"Good to see you again too. Uhm so how have you been?" I sat down on the couch.

"Been better, my daughter has passed away and I'm stuck with... well all I'm saying is that I'm bad."

"I'm sorry. I mean I lost my mother and I know how you feel."

"You couldn't possibly imagine this."

"What?"

"Nevermind. Jeffery! Come take Zoey to her room, I'm afraid I'm too busy to chit chat." Jeffery walked into the room.

"Right away Madam."

Jeffery took me upstairs to my room even though I knew where it was.

"What is she busy with?" I asked sitting down on the bed.

"She has to deal with the lawyers and the will."

"Oh. She not very happy to see me then."

"She's never happy to see anyone ever."

"You're right. Are you busy right now? I wanna talk a bit."

"I don't think I'm needed so I'm good. What's the matter Miss Zoey?"

"I just am having a really difficult time."

"With Brian Quinn I'm assuming?"

"Kinda but we are actually in a very good spot. We both like eachother and he's even given me a golden retriever for a Christmas present!"

"A puppy? That's a big responsibility."

"I'm lonely at home so I'm happy that little Cooper is with me." I smiled

"So you two are almost dating I assume?"

"Well we kissed but I think you could say that..."

"I'm so glad! You deserve this. Don't tell your grandma but you're my favorite family member." Whispered Jeffery

"Don't tell her but I know." I whispered back, he put his hand on my shoulder and got up.

"I am going to make lunch. Want some green tea with ginger and a fresh home made salad?"

"You know I do!" He smiled and walked out.

I threw my bag in the corner and took out my makeup bag, my laptop, my phone, and the Chargers I'll need. I left the rest of the stuff in my bag. I hope Q is gonna have a good time with Cooper, after all he is his daddy. I giggled at my own comment. After 10 minutes I went downstairs for lunch. Jeffery was sitting down waiting for me at the kitchen table while my grandma was no where to be seen.

"This looks so good." I sat down and started eating.

"Your grandma stepped out and went to the office, so it's just us both." said Jeffery

"That's much better. I really don't get why she doesn't like me. I am her daughter's daughter."

"I think that's why. She's very selfish with family members. She wants your mother all to herself but now she's gone."

"Oh." My phone buzzed, I took it out. It was Q.

"Hold on Jeffery, I have to take this."

"Oh Master Brian. I'll go get the laundry started." Jeffery left as I answered the phone.

"Hey Q." I said

"Hey uh... I don't know how to say this." he said

"What?"

"Just tell her!" said a voice in the back

"Who's that in the background?" I asked

"That's just Hailey, I called her to come over."

"You are with Hailey... Alone?"

"Yes but only because... Cooper ran away." My heart sank to my stomach.

"WHAT!? How could you let this happen??"

"Zoey it was an accident I swear. I was just opening the door to let him out and he ran off."

"The front door!? I always let him out the back so he wouldn't do that!"

"You didn't tell me that."

"Brian I trusted you!"

"Zoey. Hi it's Hailey, please don't be mad at him. We are looking all over and I promise he will show up."

"Hailey this dog meant the world to me! He's all I have. Every single thing that I love gets fucking taken away from me!"

"Just relax and enjoy your weekend. We will do our best. Just know that Brian is desperately sorry, he's so upset right now that he let you down. Give him a chance to find Cooper before you freak."

"Fine. I'm so mad, find him! I have to go bye." I hung up

Ugh how could they lose him!? I should've never let anyone alone with Cooper. I trust too much and that always leaves me broken. I put my head down and started crying.

"Miss Zoey are you ok?" I heard Jeffery's voice say.

"Oh uhm..yea." I wiped my tears away

"What's wrong?" He sat down next to me.

"It's just. Brian let Cooper out the front door instead of the back, so he ran away and now they can't find him. He's all I have." I started crying again

"Please Zoey don't cry. He will return." Jeffery wiped some tears from my face.

"I just hate how I'm losing everything and everyone I love. Why me? When will I ever be happy again!?"

"The world is a mysterious place. But remember life is like an arrow. You pull it back in order to get it to move forward. Which means something bad has to happen in order for something good to happen. Before you know it, you will be the happiest girl ever. The girl I like, The Zoey I've known ever since your mother first brought you here at 2 months."

"You've known me for that long?"

"Indeed, I know every single bad thing that has happened to you, then every good thing. I remember you were coloring in your little coloring book here, you were just about done when you accidentally spilled your apple juice all over the picture while reaching for the last crayon. Then when your mother came back with the newest Barbie coloring book, you forgot all about the old one."

"That's really cute. But no one is going to hand me another book this time. I'm going to have to work for my happiness this time."

"And doing it yourself and it paying off is even better. What I'm saying is, just have hope and believe in yourself. I know I do."

"Thanks Jeffery. I love you." I gave him a huge hug.

"I love you too Miss Zoey."