Research and Exposure

A week after finding out that they were now merpeople and that they weren't the only ones in town; Hermione had finished warding the house and carving the runes into it and the shack for the Potion's lab which was finished and warded too.

During their spare time, Hermione would take upon herself and call Dentist and Orthodontist offices and ask if their parents worked there after being unable to find any under Wilkins. So far, she had no success. To help with the stress, Harry would suggest they go for a swim to both help her relax and discover what else they are able to do.

So far, they discovered they did have powers. Harry could control and freeze water and any items he focuses on, as well as create snow. Hermione could also control water, but also boil it to the point of evaporating it and create fire. They've yet to try and change with their wands, fearing what would happen if they were exposed to such a drastic change. They had gone swimming at night and were astonished to find Harry's tail could glow in the deeper darker parts of the ocean. Hermione's power to boiling water was a Merlin sent. Now they didn't have to wait to dry out or use towels all the time.

Today, they could be found in their library, searching tome after tome for anything regarding merpeople, astral bodies and magical locations. Two piles surrounded them, one for books they have discarded and one with books they've yet to read.

A groan of frustration left Hermione's lips as she slammed yet another book shut.

"This is useless!" She shouts as she basically throws the book into the discarded pile. "There is nothing here to help explain how and why this happened! I have checked and read this books more than once, ordered new books and done the same and all have come up with nothing on magical pools changing a human into a mermaid!"

"Or merman, don't forget merman," adds Harry and uses a book as a shield when she throws one at him. "Oi! Don't take it out on me!"

"I'm sorry Harry. It's just...we've looked through all of these books and found nothing, not even a clue as to where to look for." She says in defeat, making Harry scoot close to her and put a hand around her shoulders before pulling her to him. "How can there be nothing?"

Harry held her in silence. He knew it was important for Hermione to know this, seeing as it affected them directly. He looked at the small pile of books they had left to read and compared it to the much bigger pile of books they have read already. Harry also wanted to know how it was possible, even though he simply accepted it as magic and no more was needed. He had even looked over books from the Peverell and Slytherin vaults and came up empty.

He had asked Winky and Kreacher only to find even they didn't know how something like this was possible. Harry looked out the window into the afternoon sky before a crazy thought made its way to his mind.

"What if we asked them?"

Confused, Hermione sat straight and looks at him. "Ask who? Do you know someone that could have information?"

"I meant, why don't we ask those girls? The other mermaids?"

"Harry are you mad?! We can't do that!" Hermione says. horrified.

"Why not? They're mermaids and they know about the Moon Pool! They have to know something!"

"But that would entail us revealing what we are! It's against the law Harry!"

For his part, Harry gave her a hurtful look. "I only meant to ask them and either say we know what they are or tell them we are like them. Not that we should tell them you're a witch and I a wizard Mione..." he says and stands before walking away.

Hermione could only stare as he left, realizing the error of her words. 'How could I be so stupid!' She thinks as she holds her face in her hands in shame and guilt. 'Now he's going to believe I think he's not smart enough to come up with a decent idea...'