Chapter 20

Shikamaru was released a week later and was carried home by his parents. Tsunade apologized for the lack of Naruto because she had sent him out on a short mission and he would be back by nightfall. Shikamaru had no complaints and enjoyed his recovering evening with his parents. 

"So is there anything I should be concerned about." Shikaku asked as they played their routine shogi after dinner. Yoshino was in the kitchen but she was listening too. 

"No, everything's great right now." Shikamaru said with a genuine smile. Shikaku was happy to see that happening, his son never was interested in relationships and with Naruto being a risky one he was worried but it seemed that it was misplaced. 

"I'm glad to hear that, mind inviting him for dinner then?" Shikaku popped the question.

Before Shikamaru could answer a familiar sound of footsteps came into his ear. He turned to see Naruto jumping off the roof. "Don't need to, I'll come." Naruto looked roughed up as he sat beside his boyfriend.

"What happened on that mission." Shikamaru asked worriedly, Naruto had a bit of blood around his neck.

"Oh this, someone thought it would be good idea to assassinate me." Naruto said casually. "I think this one scarred." Shikamaru didn't hesitate to run his fingers over his neck to feel a jagged fresh scar. 

"Don't worry my Uzumaki healing trait healed most of it already." Naruto said trying to reassure the dark haired cutie. "I keep forgetting squeaky cleans like yourself aren't exposed to this side of ninja life."

"He certainly hasn't been." Shikaku said taking a cigarette. Naruto looked down in disgust at Shikamaru's hands.

"Go wash that off, I'm sure you were spotless when I came here." The blond said, Shikamaru rolled his eyes and went to do just that. When he was gone Shikaku turned to the mused up ninja.

"So when do you want to do dinner?" Shikaku asked. Naruto turned to the man and for a moment Shikaku could see the same smiling blond from all those years ago. 

"Tomorrow is good, I have a couple days off until I have to get back to work." Naruto answered. Yoshino came out and gave Naruto a small timid wave. 

"How about staying the night?" She offered hoping he would take it. Naruto was about to say no when Shikamaru came back drying his hands.

"What's going on?" He asked, Naruto sighed.

"Your mom wants me to stay over. I don't want to impose-" He was cut off by Shikamaru shaking his head.

"Your staying." The Nara insisted. Yoshino smiled brightly this time around. 

"It's settled, Naruto go take a shower, Shikamaru will show you. Shikamaru put his clothes in the wash." She ushered the boys. Naruto didn't know how he ended up in the bathroom but decided to go with the flow. When he stepped out he saw some clothes waiting for him.

'Shikamaru must've gone through my bag.' Naruto thought as he recognized them as his. He pulled on the boxers and joggers and came out of the bathroom. He wound up in Shikamaru's room between the boy's thighs getting his hair dried.

"I knew this was going to happen." Naruto murmured. Shikamaru hummed saying he was listening. "This pace feels almost too slow for me, I've become comfortable with you." 

"Is that a bad thing or a good thing." Shikamaru asked. Naruto gave an amused snort. "You sounded like Sasuke just now." 

"Don't compare to the one with a brother complex." Naruto scowled in disgust. "It's borderline incest how they protect and drool over each other." Shikamaru was shaking with laughter, Naruto tilted his head back to look up into that smiling face.