Chapter 27: Virus

Shanna successfully moved all the kids into the forest Noah told her about. She found a nice little natural cave with a big tiger bear living inside. The kids were frightened to death, but Shanna just went inside the cave, and all the kids heard was the tiger bear howling and roaring and screeching. Before they knew it, Shanna had dragged a half dead tiger bear out of the cave and threw it into the river. "Good shelter, good water source. Perfect!" Shanna patted her hands, shaking the fur and dust off.

Noah and the kids gawked at her. This woman is crazy! 

With some help from the kids in a slightly better shape, Shanna cleaned out the cave and filled the floor with some fresh clean leaves. "Not the cleanest but much better than that filthy alley," Shanna nodded. Law, I found a clean environment, what do I do now? Her brows furrowed worriedly at the kids.

"When dealing with fevers that you don't know the cause of, just try to physically lower the temperature with a cold towel or something. Also, remember to make sure the patient is always clean."

"Clean .... that's right. A bath! I need to give them a bath!" Shanna tapped her fist on her palm. She looked towards the river, then at the kids. "Water ..." She started running over towards the river, and then stopped when she realized she can't just dump them in the water. "A tub, a kettle .... What else do I need?"

"Onee-chan! Help! Noah is-! Noah is-!"

Shanna dashed back into the cave when she heard a little girl shout. The little ones were crying while some of the bigger ones knelt beside Noah, who laid on the ground unconscious, shaking him and calling out for him to wake up. "Step aside!" Shanna adjusted Noah's position so he laid facing up. He was struggling to breathe, and his body was burning up, just like Patrick. 

Shanna remembered that time Law suddenly passed out; that was the second day he came to her house. His body was burning and he was in pain all over. Bridgette wasn't home; it was just him and her. 

"You'll be okay, hang in there!" Shanna said to Noah. "Hang in there! Breathe! Deep breaths." What do I do? "Come on, wake up, don't sleep." What do I do ?! Shanna looked around at all the kids who fell to the ground one by one, clutching their chest and gasping for air. Tears started forming in her eyes as she began to panic. "Law .... help ......"

At the pub by the port were the Red Hair Pirates. They sang and ate and drank, enjoying the peaceful evening. Shanks sipped his beer as he glanced at the doorway from time to time. "Hey, you told Shanna we'd be here right?" he asked Benn Beckman.

"I told her we'd be at one of the pubs around the dock," Benn replied. The man with the long ashy hair gazed out the window to see the sun already setting. "Where could she be?"

Shanks placed his mug down and stood from his seat. His crewmates all turned to look at their boss, in case he had an announcement, or an order to make. Shanks waved his hand slightly, signaling all was fine, and that they should be at ease. "I'm going to go look for her," Shanks said. "Hopefully she didn't get into trouble anywhere."

"Boss you want us to come with?" asked Lucky Roux with his mouth stuffed with meat.

"Nah, I'll be fine on my own. You guys gotta give me a chance to act like a proper father once in a while," Shanks laughed as he left the pub. Now where could she be? He wondered. The red haired pirate strolled down the streets, watching the shop owners preparing to close their shops. 

Shanks knew he wasn't good at this whole father thing. The past two months he tried his best to act as fatherly as possible, but only ended up treating her like a kid, and Shanna didn't like that. It's difficult when suddenly you have a sixteen year old daughter that popped out of nowhere. Shanks didn't know where to start, how to bond. Shanna briefly talked about her past, but she made it clear she didn't want to get into the details of it, so Shanks didn't pry.