Chapter 21: To Risk One's Life

"Shanna....no Shanna please! Wake up!" Law pulled himself closer to her. His voice shook and his hands trembled as he shook her body. "Wake up. Don't sleep yet!" He placed his fingers on her neck to feel her pulse. Still there, but getting weaker. "Ngh....R-Room!" He cried. He watched as a bubble started forming under his hand, expanded a little and them completely faded. "ROOM!" He attempted again but this time nothing happened. "DAMN IT!" Law slammed his fist on the pavement. If only he hadn't used all his strength earlier. If only he saved a bit of stamina left.... "Bridgette-san.....what do I do?"

...

"Get stronger? What for?" asked Bridgette as she spread the fresh washed bed sheets over the strings for hanging. After the long winter has passed, they finally have a chance to hang their laundry outside. 

The young teenager's hands clenched into fists as his brows wrinkled towards the center. "There's a man I must kill." Bridgette's brows lifted with amusement at the determination in Law's grey colored orbs. 

"Revenge huh..." Bridgette muttered as she grabbed another bedsheet from the laundry basket.

"HEY DON'T IGNORE ME!" Law shouted at the woman. Bridgette's brows slightly curved downward as she smiled awkwardly and helplessly. She spread the bedsheet on the string and clipped it at both ends.

"Well what do you want me to do?" the woman asked. Her brown hair swayed along with the light Spring breeze. She hooked the loose strand getting in the way of her vision behind her ear, and glanced over at the young boy with the spotted beanie. 

"Train me. You're strong aren't you? Teach me how to become stronger!" 

Bridgette couldn't tell whether he was begging her or ordering her, but her she smiled in amusement at attitude she was given. She put her hands on her waist. "What makes you think I'm strong?" she smirked.

"Don't play dumb with me! I saw you beat up those pirates at the port yesterday!" Law shouted in annoyance. The woman just bent down and grabbed one of the clothes from inside the basket and continued to hang it up to dry. "Bridgette-san!"

"You know I'm not one to lecture people about how killing and revenge is bad since I was a pirate too when I was young, but-"

"Eh? Bridgette-san you were a pirate?!"

"Eh? Did I not tell you?" Bridgette scratched the back of her head with an awkward grin on her face.

"NO YOU DIDN'T!" Gosh.... And he thought Cora-san was the most airheaded person he met. 

Bridgette shrugged and continued, "Anyways, like I said, I don't know what happened to you in the past that made you so dead set on killing that certain man, and I'm not one to lecture others about it. However..." She finished hanging the last piece of clothing in the basket. "If you really wanna ask me for a favor should you at least show some sincerity?" A mischievous smirk made its way to the older woman's lips.

Law gulped. "What sincerity?" 

"Heh." Bridgette leaned over to the young boy. The closer her face got to his the more sweat built up in the back of Law's neck. Of course, if he were to ask a favor of someone else, he should at least offer something in return. He understood that. But that smirk.... Just what was she planning on making him do? "Then I'll leave Shanna's bedtime stories to you!"

"Eh?" the suddenness and the simplicity of that request made Law raise a brow. "That's it?"

"Oi! Oi! Don't underestimate her! Shanna doesn't just fall asleep to one bedtime story, and she doesn't agree to go to bed if you tell her the same story again! This is not a simple task!" Bridgette crossed her arms. "Oh! Plus the dishes!"