Chapter 5: Their Past

Two years ago Shanna was still a member of the Heart Pirates. As Law's first mate/vice captain/engineer of the crew, Shanna has quite a lot of confidence in herself. She's a great fighter, and the first Haki user among the members of the crew. However, whenever it comes to Law, she seems to always turn into a single brain celled love sick simpleton.

"Hey, you guys...." she mumbled. The girl was sitting on the deck, her knees tucked close to her chest, and her chin rested on the knees. Shachi, Penguin, Bepo, and Jack stopped what they were doing and looked up from the deck of cards piled on the ground. "Didn't you guys say you would help me? We're nearly half way across the globe, and I still haven't been able to get Law to accept my confession."

Jack, the cook, smiled weakly as he dropped two aces into the pile of cards. "Give it up Shanna, we tried everything. Captain just doesn't see you that way," he said.

"But isn't that what we're trying to fix? How can I make Law see me that way?" Shanna asked. "Shachi, Penguin! Surely you guys know!" She turned to the two men who happened to be the same age as the captain of their crew.

"E-Ehh?" Penguin stuttered. "Even if you ask me....." He looked away. He pondered whether it was right or not to tell Shanna that even he didn't see her as a dating candidate. To be fair they watched her grow up. To them, she's still that little five year old girl who follows behind them everywhere they went. "I wouldn't know...."

"Shanna-chan, we really did try everything we could think of," Shachi said helplessly. "You know, like the 'keep bugging him until he says yes' method. That's still going on and it hasn't seem to work."

"Or the glow up method, that didn't work either," Jack said. They recalled the time the four of them did Shanna's make up, convincing her that Law will definitely fall in love with her once he sees how beautiful she is. They put her in his office, and waited for Law to come back, but when Law opened the door and saw her, she nearly scared him half to death. And it was only when Law passed her a mirror that she saw what a horrible job the four of them did with the make up. The eyeliner made her look like a panda, the brows were drawn thicker than Law's sideburns, and the blush was done redder than her hair. Not to mention her lips were drawn like clown lips! No wonder that didn't work.

"That's because you guys did a horrible job!" Shanna grumbled.

"But we did a pretty good job with the 'dress sexy' tactic! That didn't work either," Bepo said.

Shanna groaned as she remembered that time Bepo, Shachi, and Penguin bought her a sexy thin strapped, red laced nightgown that showed a good amount of cleavage. It was long enough just to cover her butt but basically showed all of her legs. Again, they threw her in Law's bedroom, and she waited for him to come in. But when he saw her, he threw her out of his room with seemingly no hesitation. He didn't even seem impressed.

"That's because my boobs were still underdeveloped," Shanna sighed. Yes, at that time she was still fourteen, and her boobs weren't big enough to hold up the sexy nightgown.

"Oh yeah, because of that you chugged five gallons of milk, nearly killing yourself," laughed Jack.

"Oh yeah I remember! Captain had to cut her up and remove the liquid out of her," Shachi added. The four older men started laughing at the memory of Shanna chugging down gallons of milk, to the point her belly protruded and she turned blue. To Shanna, however, that wasn't some fond memory. Even to this day she has a hard time with milk.

Shanna sighed as the other four went back to playing their card game. Even though her feelings haven't changed, those who once supported her were slowly losing faith in her chances with Law. Not to mention Law's willpower is as steady as a mountain. It's impossible to change his mind about something. She knew that, and yet she still hoped Law would change his mind, and start seeing her as a woman, instead of a little sister.