Chapter 14: Son in Law

Law swallowed hard, for her silence bothered him. Was she mad, upset? What is Shanna thinking? Law always felt like he knew Shanna, but at this very moment, seeing her slightly furrowed brows and minced lips, she suddenly felt so foreign to him. There was this odd maturity in the way she composed herself, and it reminded him of Jack's words.

"Shanna?" Law asked. He was desperate, in need of knowing whether or not she forgives him for what happened two years ago. 

Shanna looked away, refusing to meet Law in the eyes. "I-..." Words stuck in the depth of her throat, unable to come out. "I'm sorry....I just...... I don't know." That was all she could say. The situation seemed all too confusing to her. She sort of understood, but at the same time not really. 

It was all a misunderstanding. No not really. She didn't misunderstand because that's what Law wanted her to think of the situation back then. However, he did love her, or so he claims. Was she supposed to feel happy? Relieved? Or angry? She didn't know. Everything was a mess, and Shanna had no idea what to do, or how to take in all of this. 

"Is it....wrong of you to love me?" Shanna finally asked after a long period of silence. 

Law paused, for he didn't know how to respond to that. "It...certainly didn't feel right," he admitted.

"Why?" 

"Because you were under-aged, and I was an adult, not to mention I always thought of you as my little sister."

"I never thought of you as my brother," Shanna said. Although harsh, Law understood where she was coming from. If she thought of him as her brother, she wouldn't have loved him the way she did. 

"I know."

...

"What the-! Law what the hell happened?!" Bridgette gasped when she saw the teenage boy walk in the house. 

"I fell," Law grumbled, eyes darting away.

"No you didn't. Who did you fight?" Bridgette demanded, crossing her arms. Her brows furrowed sternly at the teenager, an intimidating aura radiating off of her. 

Law let out a nervous groan before answering, "Some bandits were picking on Bepo, so I put them in their place."

"It's not called putting them in their place if you come back like an eggplant. Look at all these purple bruises!" the woman pointed at his cheek. 

Law gently pushed her hand away. "I'm fine, I can take care of myself. I'm a doctor."

"Even doctors need care from their mothers," Bridgette said. 

"You're not my mother."

Bridgette let out an exaggerated gasp. "How dare you! And after all the hard work I went through to raise you. Oh!" She wiped away a fake tear, causing Law to roll his eyes. 

"Mommy, do kids come from the snow?" Shanna's voice suddenly interrupts Bridgette's horrible acting.

"Huh? What makes you say that?" Bridgette asked.

Shanna looked at Law, and then back at Bridgette. "Because we found Law in the snow! And Mommy just said that you're his mommy too, so does that make Law my little brother?" 

"PPFFFT!" Bridgette burst into a fit of laughter, causing her to fall and roll on the ground, unable to get up. "BWAAHAAHHAHAHAA!"

"L-Little...?" Law's face scrunched up in utter confusion. He didn't know whether he should consider Shanna cute and innocent or an utter idiot. "Do I look like a little brother to you?"