19. I Went Werewolf Hunting Over Summer Vacation

*** Possible Trigger Warnings***

DEAN'S POV 

(August 9th, 1997)

(Arden Age 18, Dean Age 18, Sam Age 14)

The hunt had gone to shit. It wasn't supposed to go down like this. Dad's intel was wrong. We were supposed to be after a werewolf. Keyword 'A', that meant ONE! NOT A FUCKING PACK!

To sum it up. Dad found a string of murders in upstate New York. The victims were all women between the ages of eighteen and twenty-four, bodies torn to shreds, and hearts ripped out from their chests. Police's best guess was animal attacks, which I guess they were sorta right. The murders all fell the week of the full moon, which could only mean werewolf.

I wasn't with Dad when he found the case. We had gotten into a huge fight involving my relationship with Arden. She wanted me to join her hunting for the summer. Just the two of us. A chance to have some quality time before she left for Harvard in the fall. Dad didn't like that idea so much. He kept telling me that she was just a distraction. That I needed to focus on what really mattered. That the thing that killed mom was the only thing we should focus on.

He sounded like a broken record and I was done listening to him. For the first time, I actually spoke out against my dad. The only thing holding me back was Sam. I couldn't abandon my little brother, but Sam overheard my argument with Dad and insisted that he understood. My little brother wanted me to have some quality time with the girl I love. He kept insisting that I shouldn't mess things up with Arden, because " You're never going to find anyone as good as her that will willingly put up with you."

So I left. After a screaming match with Dad, I packed my shit and left. Just me and her riding in her 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Being on the road with Arden was amazing. The most fun I've had in my life. We didn't have to hide from each other. She could fully embrace her witch side and I didn't have to be some blunt-force object, a soldier. 

We traveled from town to town, state to state, saving people, hunting things, and having some fun along the way. We were coincidentally in New York when Dad called. At first, I wanted to tell him to fuck off, but Arden convinced me to hear him out, ignoring her hate for my dad.

Which brings us to our current predicament. We followed the werewolf into the woods and... 

It was a trap. 

We were ambushed. I was separated from Arden and Sam and I was panicking. I couldn't yell out to warn them for fear that I may endanger them.

The sound of gunshots went off in the distance and I started running toward it. The shots kept firing until suddenly they stopped.

"No," I muttered to myself.

I sprinted faster running through bushes and trees, hoping they were okay. I tripped over something and it sent me crashing to the ground. I glanced at what I tripped over and froze at the sight of a body. It was one of the werewolves and it was decorated with several bullet holes in the chest. I got up and continued running until I found them. Five werewolves laid dead and leaning against a tree was Dad.

"Dad!" I ran to him. I checked his pulse and sighed in relief when I found a pulse. He was just unconscious.

"Dean?!" I heard Arden yell.

"Arden?!" I ran around the corner and found her hunched over someone. Her head spun towards me as I ran closer.

"Oh my god, Dean. I need your help, now!" she said in a mixture of relief and urgency.