36. All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two

ARDEN'S POV

(May 2nd, 1993)

(Arden Age 14, Dean Age 14, Sam Age 10)

"Where are we going?" Sam asked as I dragged him out of the house.

The boys had arrived earlier in the evening. John dropped them off abruptly with little warning before driving off to his next hunt. Neither Bobby nor I complained though. We loved having the boys over and wished that they could stay for the school year so the boys could have a consistent education, but John being John refused. A real fucking asshole.

"You'll see," I smirked, leading Sam deeper into the scrapyard. "Trust me it's going to be cool."

He looked a little skeptical but followed me anyway. The night air sent goosebumps across my skin, our pajamas being our only defense against the chill.

"Why isn't Dean coming?" Sam asked as he tried to keep up.

I paused. Things between Dean and I were still a little awkward. Or at least they were on my part. Last Christmas Eve when the boys came over for the holidays. I kissed Dean underneath the mistletoe. I felt we'd been dancing around our feelings for a while, but I guess not. Not for him. He acted like the kiss never happened and the fact that he called me a 'good friend' was all I needed to know that he didn't feel the same way.

"Dean doesn't need to be involved with everything" I replied, smirking. Dean was also impossible to wake up after he'd dozed off. "Besides it's not his birthday."

"But my birthday isn't till tomorrow," he expressed in slight confusion.

"It is tomorrow, munchkin." I laughed, showing him the face of my watch.

12:10 am

Sam's face lit up, a sparkle in his eyes. I was happy I could do this for him. I didn't want to think about the number of birthdays that he and Dean went through with little to no celebration. John wasn't the type to celebrate something as trivial as a birthday.

I lead him to the very edge of the scrapyard. It had the clearest view of the night sky. We reached a small stack of cars and I gestured for him to follow me. It was a much smaller stack than the one Dean fell off on my twelfth birthday. That was a living nightmare. No, this stack was only about three cars high and could easily be jumped off of without injuring yourself. The last thing I wanted was for Sam to get hurt on his birthday.

I got up first and pulled off my backpack. Sam took a little longer, but I waited as he pushed himself on top of the car, he was beaming. I pulled out a stash of junk food, soda pop, chips, gummy worms, you name it I had it. We spent a while just feasting on treats and after a while settled back and gazed at all the stars.

"What's that one Queenie" Sam asked pointing to the sky.

"That's Leo. You can tell because it looks like a weird trapezoid with a hook at the end. he's supposed to be a lion."

"How is that a lion," he giggled.

"I don't know!" I laughed" The Greeks were weird! They were definitely on something."

He giggled, snuggling closer to me. I brought a blanket, but it still wasn't enough to keep the South Dakota chill from getting to us.