05. Bobby's Breakthrough

BOBBY'S POV

(August 2nd, 1990)

"Yes, this is agent Willis... Yes, damn best agent in our department... Well if you excuse me, Sheriff, I have another case that needs to be handled and would appreciate not having to worry about a case I sent my guys to handle." I hung up the phone labeled FBI. "Damn idjit," I muttered, running a hand over my face.

I haven't been on a hunt since Arden arrived six months ago. This had been the longest I'd been stuck at the salvage yard. The longest I've been without going on a hunt since becoming a hunter and if I was being honest with myself, I was going stir-crazy. Sure I've been helping out where I can. Manning the phones, researching for other hunters, mostly for Rufus. I have also been putting some extra hours into the salvage yard, anything to try and ignore that urge, but there's nothing that gets the blood pumping more than the hunt.

Meanwhile, Arden still was adjusting. It's been an adjustment for both of us. Andrew and Diana's death hit us both hard. A month after their death some hunter buddies of Andrew arranged a wake at one of Rufus's cabins, to his reluctance. It was Arden and I's only time leaving Sioux Falls since her arrival and it was something I instantly regretted taking Arden to. She stood amongst the drunk hunters in silence. I watched hunters telling her their condolences. People who were complete strangers to her telling her stories. Arden didn't talk for two weeks after. In fact, she didn't talk till John dropped the boys back off at the salvage yard. Just like when they first met, Dean was able to break through Arden's walls and her silence. And for a little while, I saw the little ball of sunshine I remember before all of this shit happened. When John came back and took the boys, Arden's walls came right back up and she was silent again. She eventually started talking again, but she became passive-aggressive and her attitude worsen. But all that seemed to change whenever Dean was around. Whenever Dean was around, Arden would resemble the happy little girl I once knew. I couldn't help feeling a little jealous of the eleven-year-old boy, but in the end, I was grateful that he was able to bring out the sweet girl I used to know.

I walked towards the kitchen to check on Arden. Since living with me she hasn't been to school. I talked to the principal of the local middle school and they gave me all the work she needed to complete to be able to go into the sixth grade in the fall. I stepped into the kitchen and Arden was at the table, folding her schoolwork into origami. 

"Hey?!" I was furious. Arden only had a week to finish the rest of her work and here she was messing around. "What is this?!"

She gave me an (are you serious?) look.

"It's supposed to be a crane," she gestured to the origami in her hand. "but it does look a little rough. I'll work on it." She said as she grabbed another piece of paper. A smirk was plastered on her face as she folded another crane.

"Do you think this is funny?" I seethed.

"I think it's hilarious." She retorted pausing in her folding to make direct eye contact with me. Her eyes were challenging mine to a fight for dominance. A fight that I refused to lose. Her attitude was finally getting to me and I had enough.

"That's it!" My hands flew upwards in exasperation. "Arden I've been trying. I'll admit that I'm not perfect and I'm not going to be perfect in the future, and I ain't trying to replace your daddy, but I am tryin'." Arden broke eye contact, her eyes dropping to the floor.

I sighed. "Your mom and dad wouldn't want..." Before I could finish my sentence Arden eye's snapped up, her fists were balled, and her lip curled into a snarl.