10. Twas the Night Before Christmas

We got a Christmas chapter!!! I hope you enjoy it was a fun chapter to write. from Booberry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Christmas 1992)

(Arden Age 14, Dean Age 13, Sam Age 9)

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the salvage yard,

A fourteen-year-old Arden was stirring, waiting for the boys, and being patient was hard;

The salt was sprinkled on every windowsill with care,

In hopes that the Winchesters soon would be there;

John Winchester pulled the Impala into the salvage yard. Snow was falling and it started covering the yard in a white blanket. Bobby and Arden invited the Winchesters for Christmas and with much convincing on Sam and Dean's part, John finally relented and accepted their offer. The boys were very excited. This would be Sam's first real Christmas and Dean's first since their mother died. Dean wasn't expecting much, but when they stepped inside the Singer and Queen home his mouth dropped.

Lights and decorations covered the walls. The halls were literally decked in holly. In the living room stood an undecorated pine tree and holiday music filtered through the house. Dean gazed at his little brother fondly as the little boy jumped in excitement. He thought about last Christmas when Sam gave him the amulet and secretly he wished that he had the money to give Sam a gift. He wished that every Christmas was like this one and they just arrived.

"Merry Christmas!!!" Arden shouted as she ran to the boys her Santa hat flopping around as she ran. She then tackled them into an affectionate, life-crushing hug.

Bobby came in from behind wearing an ugly Christmas sweater that Arden somehow convinced him to wear. He smiled and greeted the boys. He was happy that the Winchesters were able to join them for Christmas. 

 Arden's smile faltered when John Winchester walked through the door. His gruff and grumpy appearance contrasted with the holiday spirit. She walked over to John and for a split second Dean and Sam were afraid she was going to start a fight with the oldest Winchester. Instead, she held out a hand.

"Merry Christmas, John," Arden said civilly.

John's eyebrows rose in surprise as the girl he knew resented him was wishing him a Merry Christmas. Bobby's smile seemed to widen with pride as he watched his goddaughter be nice to the oldest Winchester. John grabbed her hand and shook it.

"Merry Christmas to you as well." He said with a hint of surprise.

Sam and Dean thought they'd entered an alternate universe. Never had they seen Arden being nice to their dad. Well nice was a stretch, but she was being civil and that was shocking. Arden wanted this Christmas to be perfect for the boys and she didn't want to be the one to ruin it and If that meant being nice to John so be it. It was Christmas after all.