17. My Hogwarts Letter (Oh Wait)

ARDEN'S POV 

(January 19th, 1997)

(Arden Age 18, Dean Age 17, Sam Age 13)

"Arden, can you get the mail?!" Bobby yelled from the office.

"I'm sorta busy," I called back.

"I was being nice. It wasn't a request."

I sighed and turned to Sam who was sitting at the kitchen table doing homework. I lifted my hands which were covered in pie crust and gave Sam a pleading look.

"Sam?" He looked up from his textbook and chuckled at the pathetic look on my face. "Can you please get the mail for me?"

He rolled his eyes and stood from the kitchen table. "Fine, but you owe me."

"Owe you?" I scoffed. "I making freaking pie! So if I were you I would rethink your terms if you want a slice."

Sam paused, considering my words. "I could use my favor to get myself a slice." He said trying to be funny.

"Yes you could, but I was already going to give you a slice and if you start trying to swindle me you can say goodbye to your pie privileges." I leaned over to him. "And you only have one hypothetical favor. Do you really want to make an enemy out of me?" I flicked some crust at Sam for added effect.

He bit his lip a little, knowing how good my pies were and wondering if it was worth risking his pie privileges.

"I'll go get the mail," Sam said leaving the kitchen.

"Thank you," I called from behind. He just waved a hand in reply.

I turned back around focusing on the pie. I decide to make the famous Queen Family Apple Pie. A recipe my dad taught me how to make. 

Mom used to get so angry at Dad for not telling her the recipe."I'm a Queen by marriage" my Mom would always argue, but Dad would always answer back with, "You have to be a Queen by blood," which didn't fit Mom's profile. She used to try and bribe me with all sorts of things to get me to tell her, but I never did. I thought it was funny that I knew something that my all-knowing mother didn't. Dad thought it was hysterical. Mom tried multiple times to recreate the recipe, but couldn't figure it out. Dad used to tease her to no end. Which was dumb on his part. Lesson one kids, don't piss off powerful witches.

Since Dean's birthday was next week I decided to make it as an early birthday gift. They were also leaving in a few days so it was now or never. Dean and John were finishing up a salt and burn an hour out, so I had enough time to finish the pie and surprise Dean with it at dinner.

I put the dough in the fridge and worked on the filling. Soon the whole house began to smell like caramelizing apples and cinnamon. I couldn't see Bobby's face, but I knew he was salivating at the scent. Bobby loved the Queen Family's Apple Pies, as much as anyone who's ever tasted them did. He remembered my grandfather making them when he and my dad were kids.

Sam came back to the kitchen while I was assembling my masterpiece. He was gone longer than it should have taken to grab the mail, even with the mailbox being at the entrance of the salvage yard, but he could have just been sidetracked.

I put the pie in the oven and turned to Sam. "Thanks, Sammy."

"You're welcome." He held out a letter to me. "Um, this is for you."

I took the letter from him. It was from a college I applied for. Sam looked at me weirdly, but all I could focus on was the letter in my hand.

"Are you going to open it?" Sam asked, looking just as nervous as me. "Come on! I need to know if you got in!" He looked ready to rip the letter from my hands and open it for me.