04. Everyone Likes Pancakes

BOBBY'S POV

I held the small girl close to my side as she finished her story. Her body shook in my arms. John told me the details she left out. How Lilith killed Andrew before she was exorcised from Diana. The unusual exorcism he used.  I didn't want to tell Arden that. She'd already been through so much, traumatized for life. She didn't need to know the gritty details of her parent's final moments, she had been through enough. 

Then it hit me. She was mine now. I keep forgetting that Andrew and Diana made me her godfather. It's hard to wrap my head around. I have custody over this sweet eleven-year-old girl. Me, someone who never wanted to have children because he was afraid of turning into his old man. 

I stroked her dark hair, wishing that Karen was here. Karen always wanted kids, but sadly wasn't able to have children, because of me. She would have known what to do in a situation like this. I can still remember the look of happiness on Karen's face when Andrew and Diana asked us to be Arden's godparents. Arden didn't need a gruff old drunk raising her, but she also didn't deserve to be sent into the foster system. The foster system wasn't an option for her. Her magic alone would place a big ole target on her back. Hunters and witches would be after her. For better or for worst, I was all she got. 

Gradually I felt her shaking come to a stop. Her sobs settled down to the occasional sniffle. We sat there in silence, watching the sunrise over the scrap yard. 

GURRRRRRRR

Both of us looked down at her stomach. GURRRRRRRR

"Well if that ain't a sign, we should get some food in you I don't know what is." A small giggle escaped her mouth. I felt my lips tug into a smile. It wasn't the happy Arden I was used to seeing, but it was a start. "Let's make some breakfast for you and those idjits inside." 

She nodded her head and wiped the lingering tears off her face. We went inside and towards the kitchen, passing John who was still passed out on the couch.

"What are you feelin' Sweetpea," I asked as I looked around the kitchen for something we could make for breakfast. Her brow furrowed as she looked at the stuff we had. Soon enough she grabbed a bowl and started mixing flour, salt, baking powder, milk, butter, and sugar in a bowl. "What are you making?" I asked.

She continued to mix her ingredients, hardly paying attention to me, as she put in some eggs and vanilla. 

"Pancakes" she finally responded. Her voice was quiet and a little monotone, but I wasn't expecting the little miss sunshine I was used to seeing. To be honest I was impressed. She moved around the kitchen grabbing a pan from one of the cabinets and setting it on the stove. 

"Do you need any help?" I asked awkwardly, not expecting an eleven-year-old to know how to make pancakes from scratch.

"Do you have any chocolate chips?" I gave her a shrug before turning to look in the pantry, but there were none. Then I remembered the frozen blueberries I had in the freezer that I got for Sam. I went to the freezer and grabbed the frozen bag.

"Dose frozen blueberries work?"

"Yeah, that works." 

I handed her the berries and watched her work. She started putting dollops of pancake batter on the pan. After they'd start to bubble she would add the berries and flip them on the other side. I grabbed a tray and she unloaded her finished pancakes onto it. I also grabbed some maple syrup from the last time I attempted to make pancakes for the boys.

While Arden was making breakfast, I started brewing some coffee for me and John. Soon enough a muffled groan came from the living room, followed by a grumpy, freshly woken-up, John Winchester.