31. In My Time of Dying

SAM'S POV 

(August 3rd, 2006)

"Oh man," I sighed. "Dean is gonna be pissed."

The Impala was completely wreaked, the side was completely caved in. It looked like it was hit by a... Well, it was hit by a truck.

I sighed as I recapped the events of the last seventy-two hours in my mind: hunting The Demon, Dad being taken, exorcizing Meg, rescuing Dad only to have it turn out to be a trap, Dad being possessed by The Demon, The Demon trying to kill Dean while in Dad's body, The Demon escaping; cause I would rather let it go then to kill my own father, rushing Dean to the hospital to only get t-boned by a semi-truck being driven by a demon, Dean being airlifted to the hospital, Dean being in a coma, and now Dean might not-... And it might all be my fault.

The weight of exhaustion and guilt settled in, and for the first time in seventy-two hours, I wasn't fueled by adrenaline or paranoia. I felt like I was about to fall apart, but if I do what would happen to Dean?

"Look, Sam, this- this just ain't worth a tow," Bobby said, inspecting the poor excuse for a car, and bringing me out of my thoughts. He grimaced when checking the engine, before dropping the hood. "I say we empty the trunk, and sell the rest for scrap."

"No," I said as I pulled what remained of my laptop from the trunk. "Dean would kill me if we did that. When he gets better, he's gonna want to fix this."

"There's nothing to fix. The frame's a pretzel. The engine's ruined. There's barely any parts worth salvaging." he argued, and I shook my head in denial.

"Listen to me, Bobby... If there's only one working part, that's enough. We're not just gonna give up on..." My voice drifted off. We're not just gonna give up on Dean.

I never thought I'd see my brother in such a state. My cocky, annoying, stubborn older brother, who I've always looked up to lying unconscious with tubes shoved down his throat.

"Okay. You got it," Bobby said, breaking my train of thought. His voice filled with sympathy, but I didn't want sympathy. I wanted Dean awake.

That's when I remembered the list Dad gave me. "Here... uh, Dad asked if you could get this stuff for him. Maybe Arden can pick it up on her way over." I said, passing it over.

"Arden?" Bobby asked, confused.

"Yeah, I called her this morning. Thought she deserved to know what happened." I responded.

When I called her, I thought she was going to do the same thing she did last time Dean was in the hospital, but to my surprise, she immediately started packing her bag. When I asked what she was doing she told me she was going to get on the soonest flight to Sioux Falls. I reminded her that my dad was present, but she didn't seem to care. Dean was more important, and she was willing to risk angering my dad to help him.

"She's coming to help, and her flight should land sometime this afternoon," I finished.

"Are you sure that's such a good idea?" Bobby warned, insinuating the rocky relationship Dean and my Dad had with her.

"We're kinda low on options." I sighed.

Bobby looked nervous, and I couldn't blame him. I didn't want Arden in the same room as my dad either.

"What John want with this?" He asked, as he looked at the list I gave him.

"Protection from The Demon," I replied. Bobby's gaze quickly flickered to me before looking back down at the list. "What?"