34. Last Christmas

It was a given, but none of us followed the sleeping arrangements given to us. We went to sleep in our assigned rooms, but as soon as mom finished her 'Let me say good night to these kids, to ensure that they aren't doing something they shouldn't be doing,' we did exactly that. We switched rooms, Nate and I in mine, Lily and Chace, Izzie and Zach and the twins took up one room each. The only reason Cal didn't foil our plan was because I promised to let him be in charge of the Christmas day prank. I know for a fact that there's no way he could top mine. But little kids, they never learn.

The first two weeks of the vacation went by slow. We did nothing but lie around in the pool all day, stuff our faces, and shopped a bit.

Christmas was nearly two weeks away, so dad and I were going to buy the tree today. It was our tradition. Jay, dad and I used to get the tree, while mom and Cal used to bake cookies and ready the ornaments. Jay and Layla would be over on the 20th, while the rest of my cousins would be here in a day or two. Which gave me exactly one day to finish up with my shopping.

"Hey kiddo, you ready to go?" Dad asked, putting on his jacket, and picking up the keys. The gang was helping mom in decorating the house. Our cook, Cathy, was assisting Carter in baking the cookies while making dinner for us.

"Yep, let's go," I wave goodbye to all of them. We were all meeting up at the mall once I was done with tree shopping. They were taking two cars, Izzie was driving one, and Oli was driving Carter's, seeing as he was the most responsible amongst us.

My parents were surprisingly fond of Nate and Zach. Dad did threaten them, but he slowly warmed up, while mom was just happy that we were happy.

We reached the yard where we buy the trees from every year. Mr Douglus, the owner of the trees, waved to us as he saw our car pull up.

"The best one for my favourite customers is already ready. I have kept it in the side, only for the Harts," Mr Douglus practically dragged dad and me inside. "Tony. Get the tree I had kept aside for the Harts," he called out to his assistant.

The tree he showed us was bigger than last years. It was perfect. Dad and I looked at each other and grinned.

"It's perfect, Mike. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas," dad loaded the tree on top of our car with the help of Tony and Mr Douglus.

"Merry Christmas, Harts." A smile took over his old face. He ruffled my hair, and I was reminded of my childhood once again.

"Mery Xmas, Mr Douglus, Merry Xmas, Tony," I wish them and get inside the car.

"Whatcha got for Mommy, grandpa?" I tease him.

"Technically, I'm too young to be a grandpa. I'm a cool, young, awesome dad, aren't I?" He said, daring me to disagree.

"Wanna bet, gramps?"

"Ohh, it's on,"

"Yo VIP let's kick it

Ice ice baby

Ice Ice baby

All right stop collaborate and listen

Ice is back with my brand new invention

Something grabs a hold of me tightly

Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly

Will it ever stop yo I don't know

Turn off the lights and I'll glow

To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal

Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle

Dance go rush to the speaker that booms