Mommy Dearest

"I'm supposed to arrange a meeting. I don't know why or what she wants," Alaric said.

Damon bore holes into Mallorie. "You don't have to see her if you don't want to."

Mallorie felt her heartbeat in her throat. Her hands were cold and clammy. With a deep breath, she turned to look at Alaric.

"Do I have a choice?" Mallorie asked.

"No, she threatened to go on a killing spree." Alaric avoided eye contact.

"Oh." Damon continued to stare at Mallorie. "I take it that's not okay with you two?"

"I want to do it. I want to meet her." Mallorie sighed. "That's the whole reason I went with you guys last night. If I don't go, I'll regret it."

Damon almost questioned her with his eyes. When she didn't say anything, he spoke. "I'm going with you."

"Isn't that risky? What if she finds out you're there?" Mallorie asked.

Damon leaned on the desk Mallorie sat behind. "It's more dangerous for you to do this alone." 

"Fine, but if she does something, it's on you." Mallorie crossed her arms.

*****

Alaric arranged for them to meet at the Grill. Mallorie waited nervously while Damon watched from by the pool table. Mallorie couldn't help but feel her heart pounding in her chest. She had flinched when the waitress brought her some tea. 

"Can you hear me?" She muttered. Damon nodded. "Thanks for coming. I'm nervous."

Damon grinned before Mallorie's view of him was obstructed by a woman in dark clothing. Mallorie's breath hitched as she took in the woman in front of her.

To say Isobel was dark was an understatement. Her eyes were nearly black. Long dark hair cascaded around her face. She draped a black coat over the chair before sitting.

"Hello, Mallorie." Isobel stared at Mallorie then chuckled. "You look just like me when I was your age. Katherine would be fascinated."

Mallorie swallowed hard. "You've met Katherine?"

"She found me after I turned." Isobel touched her necklace.

"Is that how you walk in the daylight?" Mallorie tried to relax her shoulders.

"Katherine helped me obtain it." Isobel let go of the hunk of metal.

"Is Charlie Dupuis my father?" Mallorie leaned over the table.

"He was. That's not important." Isobel met Mallorie's eyes. "He was a teenage waste of space."

"Would it kill you to be nice?" Mallorie rested her back on her chair again.

"I don't know, would it?" Isobel cocked her head to the side. "You ask a lot of questions."

"How come I didn't get adopted with Elena?" Mallorie asked.

"Your birth certificate is a lie. You're a year older than Elena. I had it manufactured." Isobel remained deadpan.

"Why would you do that?" Mallorie furrowed her brows.

"Dramatic impact," Isobel said.