How Can I Repay You?

"Mallorie, why don't you have a seat?" Stefan took a step toward her.

"No." Mallorie stared down at the paper. "Is this my real birth certificate?"

"Yes." Stefan sighed.

"I-I don't understand." Mallorie raked a hand through her hair.

Damon stepped toward her. "Mallorie--"

"No!" Mallorie backed up. "You're going to stand right there and tell me what this means."

"Your mother is Isobel Flemming." Stefan crossed his arms. "You were born June 22, 1992, along with Elena Gilbert. But your father is Charlie Dupuis."

"What?" Mallorie felt like someone was holding her throat.

"You and Elena are twins, but you have different fathers." Damon looked at her.

"Is that even possible?" Mallorie could feel tears stinging her eyes.

"Yes, it's possible but rare," Stefan said.

"Not if your mom's a whore." Damon grinned.

"Don't talk about my mother that way!" Mallorie yelled.

"Come on! The woman had sex with two men close enough together that she had twins." Damon furrowed his brow. "She left you."

"She's still my mother." Mallorie growled.

"Mal, are you okay?" Stefan asked.

Mallorie swallowed hard. "I need time."

With that, she bolted. Mallorie just ran and ran. She didn't know where her feet were taking her. The only thing that made sense was the pavement under her feet. She stopped in front of Elena Gilbert's door.

Instead of knocking, she stood there staring at the wood. Her tears flowed freely now. The cool night air bit at her skin. Still clutched tightly in her hand was the birth certificate.

The door opened. "Mallorie?"

"Elena. Hi." Mallorie wiped her tears.

"What's going on?" Elena looked around and then crossed her arms. "Did Damon hurt you?"

"No." Mallorie pulled the paper up in front of her face. "Well, yes."

"What happened?" Elena touched her arm.

"We're half-sisters." Mallorie felt a warm tear glide down her cheek.

"That's impossible. We're the same age." Elena shook her head.

Mallorie handed her the birth certificate. "That's what I thought."

Elena gasped. "No, Damon is lying to you."

"Stefan told me." Mallorie looked at her shoes.

"There's no way. I mean what are the chances like one in a million?" Elena asked.

"I don't know. The only way we will know is if we can find Isobel." Mallorie rubbed her arms.

"Here, come in." Elena stepped aside.

"Thank you." Mallorie enjoyed the warmth of the house.

"I talked to Isobel the other day." Elena handed the paper back to Mallorie.

"What did she say?" Mallorie asked.

"Well, I'm not sure you really want to know." Elena began climbing the stairs to her room.

"Elena, if she is our mother, I do." Mallorie followed her.

"She thought I was that guy that's been trying to kill you. Stefan gave me his phone to try to figure it out, and she was the most recent call. She's the one who is after you." Elena frowned.