Klaus, in the Flesh

~ Damon ~

After a brief talk with Elijah about how Mallorie will never forgive him, Damon wanted to drink the rest of the day away. There wasn't enough alcohol left in the house, plus, Damon didn't want to be there when the pow-wow upstairs ended. He knew Mallorie and Elena would take this righteous road. He did what he felt was right. If Mallorie died, he wouldn't have anything to live for.

Driving up to the Grill, Damon replayed everything in his mind. Had he lost control? A little. Did he still love Mallorie? Absolutely. Did he regret his actions? Just the fact that he let that take over his decision-making skills and stabbed his brother. 

Damon waved down a waiter and ordered some bourbon as he took a seat at the bar. Before he could enjoy his few minutes of peace and quiet, someone slid into the seat beside him.

"I'll have the same," Alaric said.

Despite the fact that Damon could feel Ric's eyes on him, Damon refused to turn his head. "I. Screwed. Up."

"Yeah, yeah, ya did." Ric pursed his lips.

"Yeah," Damon whispered then took a sip of his drink.

"Gentlemen," a heavily accented voice said from beside Damon. "Why so glum?"

Ric's eyes moved up from Damon's face to whoever stood beside him. Slowly, Damon turned to face the man who had spoken. A man who was approximately the same height as Damon with short, curly dirty blond hair stood to Damon's left.

"Ugh." Damon sighed and looked down. "Klaus, I presume?"

"In the flesh," Klaus replied. He glanced at Ric. "Thanks for the loaner, mate."

Feeling anger fill his veins, Damon stood up to look Klaus in the eye. "Any reason you stopped by to say 'hi'."

"I'm told you and your brother fancy my doppelgänger," Klaus said. "Just thought I'd remind you to not do anything you'll regret."

"Ha." Damon couldn't stop the smug grin creeping onto his face. " Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose I could talk you into a postponement, by any chance, huh?"

It was Klaus's turn to smile. "You're kidding." When Damon didn't respond, he looked at Ric. "He is kidding, right?"

"No, not really." Ric didn't hesitate.

"I mean, come on," Damon said. "What's one more month in the whole grand scheme of things?"

"Let me be clear." Klaus took one step closer to Damon. "I have my vampire. I have my werewolf. I have everything I need. The ritual will happen tonight. So, if you want to live to see tomorrow, don't screw it up."

Without another word, Klaus left the Grill as quietly as he had come.

Damon looked at Ric and took his seat once more. In the most unenthusiastic voice, he said, "That was fun."

"You're gonna screw it up, aren't you?" Ric chewed his lip.

"You think if I took his werewolf out of the equation she might..." Damon chose his words carefully. "Get over the fact that I tried to turn her into a vampire?"

"I think it won't matter," Ric said. "Because you'll be dead."

" But without the werewolf, he can't perform the ritual tonight, which means I would have bought her one month before the next full moon," Damon raised his brows.

"And you'll still be dead." Ric grabbed his drink and took a long pull.

Damon stared at him. "Are you going to help me or what?"