Stalker

"For the last time, I am not interested in a relationship with you."

"Please, Yejin, please give me a chance, I have been admiring you day and night for the last two years-"

"Oh, so that's how long I've spent telling you things are impossible between us?" Increasingly exasperated, the Students' Council president asked in a louder tone this time.

The bespectacled, stocky student from the neighboring Daeil high school wasn't about to give up.

"But...I've sent you flowers! I've written you letters! How can you feel nothing?"

He was increasingly agitated, to the point where Yejin was actually starting to feel a little intimidated.

"Yoon Soo, please stop this before I lose whatever remaining respect I have for you." She tried to reason, keeping her voice as calm as she could. "I've already said, we can remain friends. You cannot force me to date you."

"But how am I not good enough for you? Why is it that I don't stand a chance?"

"Yoon Soo, please calm down."

"No, I don't understand this, I like you so much, but you're just not realizing your feelings for me yet."

Putting her hands out in front of her defensively, Yejin said exasperatedly, before turning to go. "I believe this conversation is over. I'm not going to engage further-"

Her words ended in a surprised cry, when the bespectacled young man abruptly grabbed her by the wrist.

It was getting scary.

For a moment, the Students' Council president genuinely feared.

"Let go of me! What are you doin-" She was almost screaming by now.

"I just want you to give me a chance! I want to be your boyfriend!"

The grip on her wrist was tightening, so much so that it actually hurt.

Feeling desperate, Yejin could feel tears rising; she didn't see how she could possibly get out of this situation.

Just then, there was a loud thud, followed by a startled cry, before the sound of metal and glass hitting the asphalt was heard.

"Too late for that." A smooth, baritone voice cut in through the commotion, as its lanky owner bent to retrieve his basketball.

Frantically picking his broken glasses up as he winced from the pain, the boy named Yoon Soo spluttered and yelled, "Who are you? What are you doing?!"

"Hyun Bin is my name, and I am telling you to get the hell out of here." The basketball team captain coolly replied, walking over to put himself between Yejin and what was clearly her crazy stalker.

"How is this your business? This is between Yejin and myself!"

"I am her boyfriend. Of course her business is my business." Hyun Bin replied, missing the way his childhood friend's eyes widened in surprise, before softening in relief.

"That's rubbish! I've been closely observing her, she doesn't have a boyfriend!"

A second loud thud was heard, and the slightly pudgy young man rolled on the floor, grimacing.

"Then what am I? You'd better not let me see you harassing my girlfriend again, if you know what's good for you."

It was completely out of character for Hyun Bin; Yejin has never seen him so irate and intimidating.

He was usually so at ease, sometimes to the extent of being reserved, and now he was threatening someone else in public.

"You can't stop me-"

Another loud thud.

"Yes I can." Hyun Bin replied, aiming his basketball once again at the stalker.

Putting his hands up in front of his face while scrambling to move back on his bottom, the stalker named Yoon Soo stammered, "This is assault! You're assaulting me!"

"I didn't see him lay a finger on you. If anything, you grabbed my wrist!" Yejin retorted.

Picking up his ball from the rebound, the basketball team captain aimed and hurled the ball once again at the stalker's legs.

"Sorry. Butter fingers. If you know what's good for you, leave her alone from now."

"She said she was single!"

"You haven't heard of people secretly dating?!" The usually composed basketball team captain retorted angrily, putting his arm around his close friend to pull her close to him. "Get the hell out of my face!"

Realizing that it was futile to linger around, the stalker scrambled to stand on his feet before running off.

Still shaken from the incident, Yejin quietly exhaled and leaned heavily against Hyun Bin.

"Are you okay?"

"Well...no, but yes, yes...I'll be okay. That was..unexpected."

"I've never heard you mention a secret admirer."

Yejin chuckled weakly, blinking back tears of fear and relief. "It's nothing to be proud of. And yeah, thank you for your help, Bin. He wouldn't have let me go if it wasn't for you."

"And you tease me for being the one with a lot of admirers

"And you tease me for being the one with a lot of admirers." Hyun Bin replied with a teasing smile, though the smile did not quite reach his eyes.

"All I have is one admirer, and he's creepier than all of yours put together. Just my luck." Yejin laughed dryly, shaking her head, stepping ahead.

"You have more than one admirer."

That stopped the council president in her tracks, leading her to turn around to look at her close friend in the eyes.

"Hm? How do you know that?"

It was Hyun Bin's turn to be at a loss for words.

"I...umm...I just guessed." He quickly replied, before placing a reassuring hand on Yejin's shoulder. "But like it or not, I'll be walking you home everyday from now."